|Venturi Formula E Team|
|Based||Monte Carlo, Monaco|
|Début||2014 Beijing ePrix|
|Founder||Leonardo DiCaprio, Gildo Pallanca Pastor, Francesco Costa, Bert Hedaya|
|Driver(s)||Stéphane Sarrazin (No.4)|
Maro Engel (No.5)
|Last Season||6th (77 pt(s))|
|Entrant||Venturi Formula E Team|
|Stéphane Sarrazin||Maro Engel|
|10th (36 Pt(s))||17th (16 Pt(s))|
|9th (29 Pt(s))|
The Venturi Formula E Team was founded in Monaco by DiCaprio, Gildo Pallanca Pastor, Francesco Costa, Bert Hedaya, with the aim of bringing Venturi Automobiles' experience in building the current record holder in the Bonneville Salt Flats for an electric car. Venturi intend to become a manufacturer in the championship from the second season onwards.
Formula E HistoryEdit
Venturi were the only Monaco based team to be entered for the inaugural season, with Nick Heidfeld and Stéphane Sarrazin as their drivers for the year. The team ran four Spark-Renault SRT_01Es for their drivers, although the pair suffered their fair amount of misfortune throughout the season. A strong start looked to be on the cards for Heidfeld right from the get go, until the German was taken out by Nicolas Prost at the season opening 2014 Beijing ePrix in a move that could have given him victory.
Heidfeld often found himself on the wrong side of penalties throughout the season too, losing out while leading the 2015 Buenos Aires ePrix because of a pitlane infringement. Sarrazin, meanwhile, proved to be a semi-consistent point scorer, albeit at the lower end of the points, until Venturi's fortunes seemingly turned in Moscow. Heidfeld finally took a podium finish that his pace had arguably earned him throughout the season, although their moment in the sun was brief.
The London double header that ended the season rather summed up their season, although the driver's respective roles were reversed. For Heidfeld, missing out on points and a retirement were his return, while Sarrazin was penalised for using too much energy, having crossed the line first in the season ending 2015 London ePrix II.
For the 2015/16 season, Sarrazin would be retain by the team, who also made headlines by signing 1997 Formula One world champion Jacques Villeneuve, who replaced an outgoing Nick Heidfeld. Owners Venturi Automobiles also announced that they would be supplying powertrains to Dragon Racing, leading to an intense intra-team battle between the Monegasques and the Americans. The first blows would be exchanged at the 2015 Donington Test, with the American squad ending the test period as the faster of the two teams.
It would still be advantage Dragon at the first race of the season, with Venturi only managing to grab ninth place courtesy of Sarrazin. The Frenchman then put together a strong display to take fourth in Putrajaya, before again ending up in ninth at the 2015 Punta del Este ePrix. It was in Punta del Este where Villeneuve decided to quit the team, the Canadian believing he was wasting his time sitting at the back of the field, with Venturi calling upon Mike Conway to fill their second seat.
It would be a slow start for Conway who, like Villenuve before him, failed to record points as Sarrazin continued his pattern of ninth-fourth-ninth finishes. Then the Frenchman put together one of the best performances of the season to claim second at the 2016 Long Beach ePrix, although this result was overshadowed by the fact that Dragon racing had won the previous round in 2016 Mexico City ePrix. Conway also forced himself onto the board in Long Beach, as Venturi tried to propel themselves into the top half of the table before the end of the season.
Unfortunately for the Monte Carlo squad, the rest of the season would only see a minor return of points, with Sarrazin often slipping back from strong starting positions. Conway, meanwhile, could only extract two more points finishes before the end of the season, and come seasons end Venturi were down in sixth, with almost half the number of points of "sister" team Dragon.
The 2016/17 saw Venturi obtain greater funding through a German backer, prompting the team to replace Conway with experienced GT racer Maro Engel. They also became the only team supplied by their owners, with the new car making its public bow at the 2016 Donington Test. Unfortunately, although the car was an improvement on the previous season's effort, both Sarrazin and Engel found themselves in the lower reaches of the field on outright pace.
Formula E RecordEdit
Outlined below is the Venturi Formula E Team's full competition record in Formula E:
|FIA Formula E Championship Record|
Videos and Images:
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3 'Teams: Venturi', fiaformulae.com, (FIA Formula E, 2015), http://www.fiaformulae.com/en/teams/venturi.aspx, (Accessed 18/07/2015)
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 Topher Smith, 'SARRAZIN STAYS AT VENTURI FOR SEASON THREE', e-racing.net, (e-Racing, 07/07/2016), http://www.e-racing.net/2016/07/07/sarrazin-stays-at-venturi-for-season-three/, (Accessed 08/07/2016)
- ↑ 'Nick Heidfeld & Stéphane Sarrazin to drive for Venturi in Formula E', fiaformulae.com, (FIA Formula E, 26/06/2014), http://www.fiaformulae.com/en/news/2014/june/nick-heidfeld-stephane-sarrazin-to-drive-for-venturi-in-formula-e.aspx, (Accessed 30/04/2015)
- ↑ 'Lucas di Grassi snatches win after dramatic last corner crash', fiaformulae.com, (FIA Formula E, 13/09/2014), http://www.fiaformulae.com/en/news/2014/september/lucas-di-grassi-snatches-win-after-dramatic-last-corner-crash.aspx, (Accessed 30/04/2015)
- ↑ 'Da Costa wins spectacular Buenos Aires ePrix', fiaformulae.com, (FIA Formula E, 10/01/2015), http://www.fiaformulae.com/en/news/2015/january/antonio-felix-da-costa-wins-chaotic-buenos-aires-eprix.aspx, (Accessed 30/04/2015)
- ↑ 'Piquet masters Moscow', fiaformulae.com, (FIA Formula E, 30/06/2015), http://fiaformulae.com/en/news/2015/june/piquet-increases-lead-in-championship-with-moscow-win.aspx, (Accessed 09/06/2015)
- ↑ 7.0 7.1 'Bird hails ‘unbelievable’ end to season', fiaformulae.com, (FIA Formula E, 28/06/2015), http://fiaformulae.com/en/news/2015/june/bird-hails-unbelievable-end-to-season.aspx, (Accessed 30/06/2015)
- ↑ 'Jacques Villeneuve signs for Venturi alongside Sarrazin', fiaformulae.com, (FIA Formula E, 08/08/2015), http://fiaformulae.com/en/news/2015/august/jacques-villeneuve-signs-for-venturi-alongside-sarraz.aspx, (Accessed 08/08/2015)
- ↑ 'Buemi to the max in Beijing', fiaformulae.com, (FIA Formula E, 24/10/2015),http://fiaformulae.com/en/news/2015/october/buemi-wins-swusp-beijing-eprix.aspx, (Accessed 25/10/2015)
- ↑ 'Di Grassi keeps his cool to win in Putrajaya', fiaformulae.com, (FIA Formula E, 07/11/2015), http://fiaformulae.com/en/news/2015/november/di-grassi-keeps-his-cool-to-win-in-putrajaya.aspx, (Accessed 22/11/2015)
- ↑ 'Conway to race for Venturi in Argentina', fiaformulae.com, (FIA Formula E, 22/01/2016), http://fiaformulae.com/en/news/2016/january/mike-conway-to-race-for-venturi-in-buenos-aires.aspx, (Accessed 23/01/2016)
- ↑ 12.0 12.1 'Di Grassi stripped of Mexico win', fiaformulae.com, (FIA Formula E, 12/03/2016), http://fiaformulae.com/en/news/2016/march/di-grassi-stripped-of-mexico-win.aspx, (Accessed 13/03/2016)