|Début||2016 Hong Kong ePrix|
|Key People||Mark Preston|
|Driver(s)||Jean-Éric Vergne (No. 25)|
Ma Qing Hua (No.33)
Esteban Gutiérrez (No.33)
|Car||Renault Z.E. 16|
|Entrant||Techeetah Formula E Team|
|Jean-Éric Vergne||Esteban Gutiérrez|
|5th (117 Pt(s))||22nd (5 Pt(s))|
|5th (156 Pt(s))|
Techeetah are a brand new effort in the world of motorsport, although the majority of their staff are from the old Team Aguri effort and so do have motorsport experience.
Formula E HistoryEdit
After getting into financial difficulties at the end of the 2015/16 season, Aguri Suzuki decided to sell his Formula E team, with Chinese Media Capital, re-branding themselves as SECA, taking over the team ahead of the season finale in London. As part of the deal, Ma Qing Hua would race for the final three races of the season, before getting a seat in the newly formed Techeetah team. Aguri team principal Mark Preston would also be retain along with most of his staff, while SECA spent big to secure a deal with Renault for powertrains.
The team received their quartet of Renault Z.E. 16s at the start of the 2016 Donington Test, with the first day proving to be the first time that they would run the cars in any form. Furthermore, they would only be a Renault customer team, with the French manufacturer only helping them to get the cars up and running, leaving the team to get the best out of them. Yet, with new lead driver Jean-Eric Vergne at the wheel, the Techeetah team looked set to at least match the factory efforts, with the Frenchman putting his car in-between Sébastien Buemi and Nicolas Prost at the top of the testing time sheets.
The season opener in Hong Kong went very badly for Techeetah, as Ma suffered terminal damage on the first lap, while Vergne went out prematurely with an overheated battery. The following Marrakech ePrix went better, with Vergne claiming their first points finish in eighth, while Ma survived a hectic race down in fifteenth. Things then got even better at the 2017 Buenos Aires ePrix, with Vergne cruising home to second place in the race, while Ma also made it to the chequered flag, albeit down in sixteenth.
Shortly before the Mexico City ePrix in early April, Techeetah confirmed the capture of ex-F1 racer Esteban Gutiérrez, who would replace Ma in the #33 pair of cars. The Mexican racer had previously announced his plans to join a Formula E team, and, with the backing of Carlos Slim, a deal was struck that saw Gutiérrez take over the second pair of Techeetah-Renaults. Ma would remain with the team as their third/reserve driver, while Gutiérrez made his FE bow at his home race.
Formula E RecordEdit
The table below shows Techeetah's full Formula E record.
|FIA Formula E Championship Record|
Videos and Images:
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 'SECA SECURE FIA FORMULA E CHAMPIONSHIP ENTRY: JEAN-ERIC VERGNE AND MA QING HUA CONFIRMED AS DRIVERS', fiaformulae.com, (FIA Formula E, 07/07/2016), http://fiaformulae.com/en/news/2016/july/seca-secure-fia-formula-e-championship-entry/, (Accessed 08/07/2016)
- ↑ 'Team Aguri confirm takeover ahead of Visa London ePrix', fiaformulae.com, (FIA Formula E, 28/06/2016), http://fiaformulae.com/en/news/2016/june/team-aguri-confirm-takeover-ahead-of-visa-london-eprix/, (Accessed 02/07/2016)
- ↑ 'SECA SECURE FIA FORMULA E CHAMPIONSHIP ENTRY: JEAN-ERIC VERGNE AND MA QING HUA CONFIRMED AS DRIVERS', fiaformulae.com, (FIA Formula E, 07/07/2016), http://fiaformulae.com/en/news/2016/july/seca-secure-fia-formula-e-championship-entry/, (Accessed 08/07/2016)
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 Scott Mitchell, 'New Formula E outfit Techeetah to run Renault powertrain', autosport.com, (Haymarket Media, 24/08/2016), http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/125834, (Accessed 11/09/2016)
- ↑ 'Buemi holds on in Hong Kong', fiaformulae.com, (FIA Formula E, 09/10/2016), http://www.fiaformulae.com/en/news/2016/october/buemi-holds-on-in-hong-kong/, (Accessed 09/10/2016)
- ↑ 'Buemi magnificent in Marrakesh', fiaformulae.com, (FIA Formula E, 12/11/2016), http://www.fiaformulae.com/en/news/2016/november/buemi-magnificent-in-marrakesh/, (Accessed 12/11/2016)
- ↑ 'Buemi becomes hat-trick hero in Buenos Aires', fiaformulae.com, (FIA Formula E, 18/02/2017), http://www.fiaformulae.com/en/news/2017/february/buemi-becomes-hat-trick-hero-in-buenos-aires/, (Accessed 19/02/2017)
- ↑ 8.0 8.1 8.2 'Esteban Gutierrez joins TECHEETAH Formula E Team', fiaformulae.com, (FIA Formula E, 20/03/2017), http://www.fiaformulae.com/en/news/2017/march/esteban-gutierrez-joins-techeetah-formula-e-team/, (Accessed 20/03/2017)