|Date of Birth||31st October 1988|
|Date of Death||Unknown|
|Début||2014 Beijing ePrix|
|First Win||2014 Punta del Este ePrix|
|Formula E Career|
|Total Entries||27 (27 Starts)|
Sébastien Olivier Buemi (born 31st October 1988) is a Swiss racing driver and defending FIA Formula E Championship Champion, having won the 2015/16 title at the 2016 London ePrix II. Buemi earned his maiden FE crown by setting the fastest lap at the season ending race, having duelled throughout the season with Lucas di Grassi for the honours.
Previously, Buemi had finished as runner up in the Championship during the 2014/15 season, missing out by just a single point at the 2015 London ePrix II. Outside of Formula E, Buemi has had experience of both Formula One and the World Endurance Championship, and is considered to be among the best drivers in the FE field.
Buemi is best known for his Formula One exploits, having been one of the youngest drivers to start in the championship in 2009. It was in his karting days, however, that Buemi would get his first experience of Formula One at the age of 15, driving an Arrows F1 car. Buemi was spotted by Toro Rosso in 2009, having competed in Formula Three and GP2 since 2006. Currently a test driver for Red Bull Racing, Buemi has tasted victory in the World Endurance Championship driving for Toyota.
Formula E HistoryEdit
Buemi was named as a driver for e.dams-Renault for the inaugural 2014/15 FIA Formula E Championship, partnering Nicolas Prost. After retiring on his debut at the 2014 Beijing ePrix, Buemi recovered to take third in Putrajaya before claiming the honours in the 2014 Punta del Este ePrix. He was leading team mate Nicolas Prost in the championship until the 2015 Miami ePrix, where Prost claimed his first ePrix victory. He then made Formula E history by taking victory for a second time, leading from pole position at the 2015 Monaco ePrix and taking 28 out of a possible 30 points from the weekend, overtaking Prost in the championship.
A second place in Berlin followed, as Buemi became a serious title challenger, before e.dams cost him valuable points in 2015 Moscow ePrix. His team misread the teams' information before the race, believing there to be a 68 second minimum pitstop time, not the 58 that had been agreed. Although Buemi did his best to recover his former position, he ultimately finished in ninth, having been fifth before the error.
Heading into London for the season finale, Buemi was one of three drivers with a serious chance of taking the title, with Nelson Piquet Jr. and Lucas di Grassi his rivals. His weekend started perfectly, as he took the First Visa London ePrix with relative ease from pole, cutting the gap to Piquet to just three points. Sunday appeared to be even more in his favour, as he was the only one of the title contenders to qualify in the top ten after a rain hit session. But, it was not to be, as Buemi spun during the race, and was then left frustrated in his attempts to get past Bruno Senna for fourth, a position which would have won him the title.
Renaults and RevengeEdit
Retained alongside Prost for the newly renamed Renault e.Dams effort, Buemi immediately proved to be the class of the field at the 2015 Donington Test, completing an immense number of laps. Their impressive display was immediately reflected at the 2015/16 season opener in Beijing, where Buemi became the first man to take pole, fastest lap and victory in the same race. He looked set to repeat the feat at the 2015 Putrajaya ePrix a few weeks later, but the Swiss' race would be ruined when his Renault Z.E. 15 began to overheat at the end of his first stint.
Despite that first set-back, Buemi reinforced his tag as favourite by winning the 2015 Punta del Este ePrix, before claiming second at the following two rounds. Long Beach saw Buemi hit problems once again, the result of a sudden loss of ability to get into the Super Pole session at the end of qualifying, with the Swiss driver having to battle from the back. Buemi still scored the fastest lap, however, and after grabbing a podium at the 2016 Paris ePrix, Buemi stole the win in Berlin to close the gap back to Championship leader di Grassi to just a single point as the Championship headed to London for the season finale.
During the penultimate qualifying session of the season it seemed as if the world was conspiring against the title pretenders, as both got caught out by rain on their laps. His title rival di Grassi qualified just ahead, and both would battle up the order through the race, the Brazilian claiming fourth ahead of Buemi to hold a three point advantage into the final round. Into the final qualifying session of the season and Buemi finally rediscovered his one-lap pace, setting a time good enough for pole during the Super Pole shootout to leave himself level on points with di Grassi at the start of the final race, the 2016 London ePrix II.
Buemi would have the added bonus of having teammate Prost sharing the front row, and the two Renaults conspired to block di Grassi into turn three to get more cars in between the two title pretenders. Unfortunately, di Grassi misjudged the closing speeds and slammed into the back of Buemi, causing race ending damage to both of their first cars, leaving di Grassi as Champion. That was, until Buemi stopped for his second car and tried to set fastest lap, with di Grassi also heading out to try and deny the Swiss racer the title. Ultimately, Buemi managed to find a gap behind race leader Prost and set a stunning lap to take the title through fastest lap points, with di Grassi later getting penalised for causing the first lap accident.
Raising the RampartsEdit
Seeing no reason to change their lineup, Renault e.Dams signed Buemi and Prost up for a third successive season, as Buemi and Renault set about defending their titles. At the 2016 Donington Test Buemi established himself as title favourite once again, completing a lot of mileage and smashing the circuit record on the final day.
Full Formula E RecordEdit
Shown below are a series of tables outlining Sébastien Buemi's career in Formula E in statistical form.
Formula E EntriesEdit
The list below includes all of the teams and cars, as well as overall finishing positions for Sébastien Buemi during their FE career:
|Sébastien Buemi's Overall Formula E Record|
|2015/16||Renault e.Dams||9||Renault Z.E. 15||1st||155|
|2016/17||Renault e.Dams||9||Renault Z.E. 16|
Below is a table showing Sébastien Buemi's full Formula E record.
|FIA Formula E Championship Record|
Video and Images:
- Henry Mineur, 'Sébastien Buemi at the 2012 Nürburgring World series by Renault round', wikipedia.org, (Wikipedia, 30/06/2012), http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sebastian_Buemi#mediaviewer/File:S%C3%A9bastien_Buemi.JPG, (Accessed 01/05/2015)
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3 1.4 1.5 1.6 'Drivers club: Sébastien Buemi', fiaformulae.com, (FIA Formula E, 2014), http://www.fiaformulae.com/en/drivers-club/s%C3%A9bastien-buemi.aspx, (Accessed 01/05/2015)
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 2.3 2.4 'BUEMI WINS TITLE AFTER SPECTACULAR FINALE: VISA FASTEST LAP ENDS UP DECIDING THE 2015/16 FIA FORMULA E CHAMPIONSHIP', fiaformulae.com, (FIA Formula E, 03/07/2016), http://fiaformulae.com/en/news/2016/july/buemi-wins-title-after-spectacular-finale/, (Accessed 04/07/2016)
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 3.2 'Bird hails ‘unbelievable’ end to season', fiaformulae.com, (FIA Formula E, 28/06/2015), http://fiaformulae.com/en/news/2015/june/bird-hails-unbelievable-end-to-season.aspx, (Accessed 30/06/2015)
- ↑ 'Lucas di Grassi snatches win after dramatic last corner crash', fiaformulae.com, (FIA Formula E, 13/09/2014), http://www.fiaformulae.com/en/news/2014/september/lucas-di-grassi-snatches-win-after-dramatic-last-corner-crash.aspx, (Accessed 30/04/2015)
- ↑ 'Brilliant Buemi wins in Punta del Este', fiaformulae.com, (FAI Formula E, 13/12/2014), http://www.fiaformulae.com/en/news/2014/december/brilliant-buemi-wins-in-punta-del-este.aspx, (Accessed 01/05/2015)
- ↑ 'Poleman Buemi doubles up', fiaformulae.com, (FIA Formula E, 09/05/2015), http://www.fiaformulae.com/en/news/2015/may/poleman-buemi-doubles-up.aspx, (Accessed 09/05/2015)
- ↑ 7.0 7.1 7.2 'Piquet masters Moscow', fiaformulae.com, (FIA Formula E, 30/06/2015), http://fiaformulae.com/en/news/2015/june/piquet-increases-lead-in-championship-with-moscow-win.aspx, (Accessed 09/06/2015)
- ↑ 'Buemi’s stroll in the park', fiaformulae.com, (FIA Formula E, 27/06/2015), http://fiaformulae.com/en/news/2015/june/buemi-wins-as-edams-renault-clinch-team-title.aspx, (Accessed 30/06/2015)
- ↑ 'Renault e.dams retain Prost and Buemi', fiaformulae.com, (FIA Formula E, 28/08/2015), http://fiaformulae.com/en/news/2015/august/renault-edams-retain-prost-and-buemi.aspx, (Accessed 28/08/2015)
- ↑ 'Buemi to the max in Beijing', fiaformulae.com, (FIA Formula E, 24/10/2015),http://fiaformulae.com/en/news/2015/october/buemi-wins-swusp-beijing-eprix.aspx, (Accessed 25/10/2015)
- ↑ 'Di Grassi keeps his cool to win in Putrajaya', fiaformulae.com, (FIA Formula E, 07/11/2015), http://fiaformulae.com/en/news/2015/november/di-grassi-keeps-his-cool-to-win-in-putrajaya.aspx, (Accessed 22/11/2015)
- ↑ 'Buemi back on top', fiaformulae.com, (FIA Formula E, 19/12/2015), http://fiaformulae.com/en/news/2015/december/buemi-back-on-top.aspx, (Accessed 25/12/2015)
- ↑ 'Di Grassi's Shoreline sensation', fiaformulae.com, (FIA Formula E, 02/04/2016), http://fiaformulae.com/en/news/2016/april/di-grassi-s-shoreline-sensation/, (Accessed 03/04/2016)
- ↑ 'Buemi win cuts di Grassi's lead to just one point', fiaformula.com, (FIA Formula E, 21/05/2016), http://fiaformulae.com/en/news/2016/may/buemi-win-cuts-di-grassi-s-lead-to-just-one-point/, (Accessed 21/05/2016)
- ↑ 'PROST TAKES POLE FOR VISA LONDON EPRIX: RAIN HITS DI GRASSI AND BUEMI IN CRUCIAL QUALIFYING SESSION', fiaformulae.com, (FIA Formula E, 02/07/2016), http://fiaformulae.com/en/news/2016/july/prost-takes-pole-for-visa-london-eprix/, (Accessed 04/07/2016)
- ↑ 'BUEMI AND DI GRASSI CHARGE UP THE ORDER, BUT IT’S PROST WHO LEADS THE WAY', fiaformulae.com, (FIA Formula E, 02/07/2016), http://fiaformulae.com/en/news/2016/july/prost-wins-in-style-as-di-grassi-inches-closer-to-title/, (Accessed 03/07/2016)
- ↑ 'BUEMI TAKES POLE TO LEVEL UP POINTS STANDINGS: DI GRASSI TO START THIRD BEHIND BOTH RENAULT E.DAMS', fiaformulae.com, (FIA Formula E, 03/07/2016), http://fiaformulae.com/en/news/2016/july/buemi-takes-pole-to-level-up-points-standings/, (Accessed 04/07/2016)
- ↑ 'Renault e.Dams confirm Buemi and Prost for 2016/17', fiaformulae.com, (FIA Formula E, 20/05/2016), http://fiaformulae.com/en/news/2016/may/renault-edams-confirm-buemi-and-prost-for-201617/, (Accessed 20/05/2016)