|Based||Le Mans, France|
|Début||2014 Beijing ePrix|
|Driver(s)||Nicolas Prost (No.8)|
Sébastien Buemi (No.9)
|Car||Renault Z.E. 16|
|Last Season||1st (270 pt(s))|
|First Win||2014 Punta del Este ePrix|
|Nicolas Prost||Sébastien Buemi|
|6th (93 Pt(s))||2nd (157 Pt(s))|
|1st (268 Pt(s))|
e.dams-Renault were formed in 2013, specifically for the Formula E Championship. Co-founder Jean-Paul Dirot brought experience of running the French A1 GP Series team as well as cars in GP2 and Formula Renault. Alain Prost (the other co-founder) brought his experience as a four time Formula One champion to the team, as well as his son.
Formula E HistoryEdit
Nicolas Prost and Sébastien Buemi ran for e.dams-Renault throughout the entire 2014/15 season. Buemi impressed early on, setting the fastest lap at the Donington Park test on two successive days. Prost, meanwhile, started the season on pole position for the 2014 Beijing ePrix, ultimately missing out on victory after a late crash with Nick Heidfeld. Prost's pace was to be rewarded with victory later in the season at Miami, after Buemi took victory in the 2014 Punta del Este ePrix.
Buemi's form saw him become a title contender through the second half of the season, as Prost's pace, and fortune, deserted him. Buemi claimed his second victory of the season (becoming the first to do so, and the first to win from pole position) at the 2015 Monaco ePrix, with himself, Lucas di Grassi and Nelson Piquet Jr. favourites for the title. e.dams then made a mistake during the 2015 Moscow ePrix, which cost both of their drivers valuable points, particularly when the events that were to unfold in London were taken into account. Having failed to read the briefing notes earlier in the day, e.dams made both of their stops ten seconds longer, costing both Buemi and Prost time and positions on track, with ten seconds the difference between Buemi in ninth, and António Félix da Costa in seventh.
e.dams London weekend was a vast improvement over Moscow, with the team taking the Teams' Championship with a race to spare in the First London ePrix. With Buemi winning the race from pole, the Swiss driver was left just three points behind Piquet at the start of the season ending 2015 London ePrix II. The Driver's Title would come down to the final corner of the race, however, with Buemi unable to pass Bruno Senna into the final corner of the season, meaning Nelson Piquet Jr. won the Championship by a single point.
Immediately after the London ePrix, e.dams-Renault confirmed their entry as a manufacturer backed team for 2015/16, with Renault building a powertrain for them. The team were rebranded as Renault e.Dams to mark the work of the French car manufacturers in building the team's 2015/16 challenger, the RENAULT Z.E.15. This work was reflected at the 2015 Donington Test, where the new car completed 353 laps over the six days, with only one fault affecting Buemi over the entire three week programme. Buemi and Prost (who also completed the test) were later confirmed as the drivers for the team, with themselves, and ABT Schaeffler Audi Sport expected to be the major title contenders.
It would be an excellent start to the season for e.Dams, with Buemi taking pole, fastest lap and victory in Beijing to become the first man to score maximum points. Yet, the new car did have flaws, and when the Swiss racer was all set to repeat his Beijing feats in Putrajaya, an overheating issue sent him tumbling down the order just before the stops. These concerns were resolved in time for the 2015 Punta del Este ePrix, however, and Buemi duly claimed a second win of the season, despite missing out on pole.
The following rounds would see Buemi record two second places, the latter one in Mexico City seeing him return to the top of the Drivers' Championship. That round would also see Prost get onto the podium for the first time, the Frenchman finally getting on terms with his teammate by finishing third. A difficult weekend in Long Beach followed as both cars got caught out by incidents, leaving Buemi to only pick up points for fastest lap.
e.Dams then headed to Paris for their home race, confident that they could record a home victory as the French capital made its ePrix debut. Yet, a poor qualifying saw both Prost and Buemi have to battle their way up the order in the race, with the latter getting onto the podium as major rival di Grassi claimed victory for ABT Schaeffler Audi Sport. Fortunately for e.Dams, the following round in Berlin suited their car, and when Buemi claimed victory on ABT's home turf it left the Swiss racer just a point away from di Grassi.
Into the season ending double header in London, and a poor qualifying session for the 2016 London ePrix I saw both Buemi and di Grassi battle up the order, the latter extending him title lead to three points. That race also saw Prost pick up his first win of the season, a victory that also put e.Dams in prime position to win the Teams' Championship. Then came the finale itself, with Buemi managing to get level on points with di Grassi by claiming pole for the 2016 London ePrix II, with Prost lining up alongside.
At the start it would be the two e.Dams drivers trying to box in di Grassi into the first braking zone, with Buemi opting to take it easy through the turn three on the opening lap. The Brazilian, however, misjudged the closing speed and slammed into the back of the Swiss racer, leaving both cars out of the race with heavy damage, and seemingly earning himself the title by virtue of having more third places. Yet, there were still two points on offer for fastest lap, and despite di Grassi's best attempts to block him, Buemi and e.Dams found enough space for the Swiss racer to obliterate the lap record and win his first FE title. His personal efforts also helped e.Dams to complete the defence of their Teams' title, although that was ultimately secured when Prost swept home to take a second victory of the weekend.
For the 2016/17 season there would be little change for e.Dams, with both Prost and Buemi retained, while Renault continued to support them as a factory effort. They would not, however, be the only team to run the new Renault Z.E. 16, as the French car maker had sold a quartet of cars to new team Techeetah, although those cars would not receive any real support. Regardless, it would be Buemi and e.Dams who proved to be the class of the field at the 2016 Donington Test, where the Swiss racer smashed the circuit record to set the fastest lap of the test.
Formula E RecordEdit
The full Formula E record for Renault e.Dams is displayed below:
|FIA Formula E Championship Record|
Videos and Images:
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3 1.4 1.5 'Teams: e.dams-Renault', fiaformulae.com, (FIA Formula E, 2015), http://www.fiaformulae.com/en/teams/edams-renault.aspx, (Accessed 18/07/2015)
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 2.3 2.4 2.5 'BUEMI WINS TITLE AFTER SPECTACULAR FINALE: VISA FASTEST LAP ENDS UP DECIDING THE 2015/16 FIA FORMULA E CHAMPIONSHIP', fiaformulae.com, (FIA Formula E, 03/07/2016), http://fiaformulae.com/en/news/2016/july/buemi-wins-title-after-spectacular-finale/, (Accessed 04/07/2016)
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 'Lucas di Grassi snatches win after dramatic last corner crash', fiaformulae.com, (FIA Formula E, 13/09/2014), http://www.fiaformulae.com/en/news/2014/september/lucas-di-grassi-snatches-win-after-dramatic-last-corner-crash.aspx, (Accessed 30/04/2015)
- ↑ 'Prost powers to first Formula E win', fiaformulae.com, (FIA Formula E, 14/03/2015) http://www.fiaformulae.com/en/news/2015/march/prost-powers-to-first-formula-e-win.aspx, (Accessed 30/04/2015)
- ↑ 'Poleman Buemi doubles up', fiaformulae.com, (FIA Formula E, 09/05/2015), http://www.fiaformulae.com/en/news/2015/may/poleman-buemi-doubles-up.aspx, (Accessed 09/05/2015)
- ↑ 6.0 6.1 'Piquet masters Moscow', fiaformulae.com, (FIA Formula E, 30/06/2015), http://fiaformulae.com/en/news/2015/june/piquet-increases-lead-in-championship-with-moscow-win.aspx, (Accessed 09/06/2015)
- ↑ 7.0 7.1 'Buemi’s stroll in the park', fiaformulae.com, (FIA Formula E, 27/06/2015), http://fiaformulae.com/en/news/2015/june/buemi-wins-as-edams-renault-clinch-team-title.aspx, (Accessed 30/06/2015)
- ↑ 'Bird hails ‘unbelievable’ end to season', fiaformulae.com, (FIA Formula E, 28/06/2015), http://fiaformulae.com/en/news/2015/june/bird-hails-unbelievable-end-to-season.aspx, (Accessed 30/06/2015)
- ↑ 'Renault confirms manufacturer entry for season two', fiaformulae.com, (FIA Formula E, 29/06/2015), http://fiaformulae.com/en/news/2015/june/renault-confirms-manufacturer-entry-for-season-two.aspx, (Accessed 29/06/2015)
- ↑ 'Renault e.dams retain Prost and Buemi', fiaformulae.com, (FIA Formula E, 28/08/2015),http://fiaformulae.com/en/news/2015/august/renault-edams-retain-prost-and-buemi.aspx, (Accessed 28/08/2015)
- ↑ 'Di Grassi keeps his cool to win in Putrajaya', fiaformulae.com, (FIA Formula E, 07/11/2015), http://fiaformulae.com/en/news/2015/november/di-grassi-keeps-his-cool-to-win-in-putrajaya.aspx, (Accessed 22/11/2015)
- ↑ 'Buemi back on top', fiaformulae.com, (FIA Formula E, 19/12/2015), http://fiaformulae.com/en/news/2015/december/buemi-back-on-top.aspx, (Accessed 25/12/2015)
- ↑ 13.0 13.1 'Di Grassi stripped of Mexico win', fiaformulae.com, (FIA Formula E, 12/03/2016), http://fiaformulae.com/en/news/2016/march/di-grassi-stripped-of-mexico-win.aspx, (Accessed 13/03/2016)
- ↑ 'Di Grassi's Shoreline sensation', fiaformulae.com, (FIA Formula E, 02/04/2016), http://fiaformulae.com/en/news/2016/april/di-grassi-s-shoreline-sensation/, (Accessed 03/04/2016)
- ↑ 15.0 15.1 'Di Grassi triumphant in Paris', fiaformulae.com, (FIA Formula E, 23/04/2016), http://fiaformulae.com/en/news/2016/april/di-grassi-wins-visa-paris-eprix/, (Accessed 23/04/2016)
- ↑ 'Buemi win cuts di Grassi's lead to just one point', fiaformula.com, (FIA Formula E, 21/05/2016), http://fiaformulae.com/en/news/2016/may/buemi-win-cuts-di-grassi-s-lead-to-just-one-point/, (Accessed 21/05/2016)
- ↑ 17.0 17.1 'BUEMI AND DI GRASSI CHARGE UP THE ORDER, BUT IT’S PROST WHO LEADS THE WAY', fiaformulae.com, (FIA Formula E, 02/07/2016), http://fiaformulae.com/en/news/2016/july/prost-wins-in-style-as-di-grassi-inches-closer-to-title/, (Accessed 03/07/2016)
- ↑ 'Renault e.Dams confirm Buemi and Prost for 2016/17', fiaformulae.com, (FIA Formula E, 20/05/2016), http://fiaformulae.com/en/news/2016/may/renault-edams-confirm-buemi-and-prost-for-201617/, (Accessed 20/05/2016)
- ↑ 'SECA SECURE FIA FORMULA E CHAMPIONSHIP ENTRY: JEAN-ERIC VERGNE AND MA QING HUA CONFIRMED AS DRIVERS', fiaformulae.com, (FIA Formula E, 07/07/2016), http://fiaformulae.com/en/news/2016/july/seca-secure-fia-formula-e-championship-entry/, (Accessed 08/07/2016)