|Punta del Este|
|Name||Julius Baer Formula E Punta del Este ePrix|
|Location||Playa Brava Beach, Punta del Este|
|First Race||13th December 2014|
|Sébastien Buemi||Jean-Eric Vergne||Sébastien Buemi|
Punta del Este was promoted to ciudad (city) status in the 1950s, from originally being a Spanish settlement in the 16th century. Recent history has seen Punta del Este host an American summit in 1968, before hosting the Uruguay round of talks that ultimately ended up forming the World Trade Organisation.
Formula E HistoryEdit
Punta del Este was a founding city for the Formula E Championship, having been included in both the provisional and official calendars for the inaugural 2014/15 season. Using a modified version of the World Touring Car Championship circuit in the city, the track would become notable for the sand blown across the tarmac. After returning for 2015/16, the Punta del Este round was dropped for 2016/17. The circuit would also host the only in-season tests during the first two Formula E seasons.
Sébastien Buemi claimed his first victory in Formula E by taking the honours in the 2014 Punta del Este ePrix, beating Brazilian duo Nelson Piquet, Jr. and Lucas di Grassi. Qualifying had already produced a shock when Jean-Eric Vergne claimed pole position despite never having driven the Spark-Renault SRT_01E before the meeting. The second edition of the race saw Buemi on top once again, as he recovered from a poor quali result to win for the fifth time in Formula E history.
The Playa Brava Beach holds the Punta del Este harbour, often referred to as the "Monte-Carlo of South America". The anti-clockwise circuit runs along the edge of the coast, with 2.8km connecting 20 corners. The circuit has previously been used for touring car meetings, and hence is well established as a venue for motorsport events, although the circuit was modified for the 2015 edition of the race, reversing the direction of the first chicane.
A full list of records for the Punta del Este ePrix is outlined below, including a list of race winners.
Below is a list of all of the winners of ePrix held in Punta del Este:
|Punta del Este ePrix Winners List|
|2014/15||2014 Julius Baer Punta del Este ePrix||Playa Brava Beach Circuit||13th December 2014||Sébastien Buemi||Report|
|2015/16||2015 FIA Formula E Punta del Este ePrix||Playa Brava Beach Circuit||19th December 2015||Sébastien Buemi||Report|
Playa Brava Beach Circuit RecordsEdit
The majority of the records set for the Punta del Este circuit were set during the 2015 edition of the Punta del Este ePrix, with the full record shown below:
- Qualifying Record: 1:15.408 - Jean-Eric Vergne (2014)
- Lap Record: 1:17.413 - Sébastien Buemi (2015)
- Most Poles: Jean-Eric Vergne / Jérôme d'Ambrosio (1)
- Most Wins: Sébastien Buemi (2)
Videos and Images:
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3 1.4 1.5 'Circuit guide: Punta del Este', fiaformulae.com, (FIA Formula E, 2014), http://www.fiaformulae.com/en/calendar/2014-punta-del-este/punta-del-este-circuit.aspx, (Accessed 09/07/2015)
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 'Buemi back on top', fiaformulae.com, (FIA Formula E, 19/12/2015), http://fiaformulae.com/en/news/2015/december/buemi-back-on-top.aspx, (Accessed 25/12/2015)
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 'Punta del Este', wikipedia.org, (WikiMedia, 02/07/2015), http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Punta_del_Este, (Accessed 09/07/2015)
- ↑ 'From Hong Kong to New York: FIVE NEW CITIES FOR THIRD FORMULA E SEASON', fiaformulae.com, (FIA Formula E, 02/07/2016), http://fiaformulae.com/en/news/2016/july/from-hong-kong-to-new-york/, (Accessed 02/07/2016)
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 'Brilliant Buemi wins in Punta del Este', fiaformulae.com, (FIA Formula E, 13/12/2014), http://www.fiaformulae.com/en/news/2014/december/brilliant-buemi-wins-in-punta-del-este.aspx, (Accessed 26/04/2015)
|Formula E Host Cities|
|Long Beach||Mexico City||Miami||Montreal||New York|
|Buenos Aires||Punta del Este|