|Date of Birth||1st April 1987|
|Date of Death||Unknown|
|Début||2015 London ePrix I|
|Formula E Career|
|Total Entries||26 (26 Starts)|
2016/17 saw Turvey often battle for a position in the Super Pole shootout, even taking a maiden pole position at the 2017 Mexico City ePrix. However, a lack of race pace would often see Turvey slip down the order meaning he was limited to a handful of minor points finishes throughout the season.
Turvey was an established name in karting, before making his debut in Formula Renault during the 2003 Winter Series, followed by three seasons in Formula BMW UK. Turvey was rewarded with the runners up spot in 2006 in Formula BMW by McLaren, winning the McLaren Autosport BRDC Award, which would fund his career for the next few years. A few seasons in various one make Formulas followed, before Turvey became an official McLaren F1 test driver, and spent a few seasons in GP2.
Turvey remained a test driver for McLaren throughout the remainder of his single seater career, before a 2012 switch to the GT3 Championship with McLaren. In 2013, Turvey moved into purpose built Le Mans Prototypes, entering the World Endurance Championship and the 24 Hours of Le Mans. 2014 saw a similar schedule for Turvey, backed by a class win at Le Mans, before a 2015 switch saw him make his bow in Super GT in Japan.
Formula E HistoryEdit
Turvey got his first taste of the Spark-Renault SRT_01E at the 2015 London ePrix I at the end of June, driving in support of Nelson Piquet, Jr. at NEXTEV TCR. Turvey's involvement was also crucial to the outcome of the Championship, as his strong pace in the Second London ePrix allowed Piquet to save energy in his first car while running behind the Brit as he battled in front. Turvey's pace earned him two ninth place finishes, all the more impressive when his relative inexperience in the car is taken into account.
NEXTEV's Next ManEdit
After his impressive results in an unfamiliar car, it was no surprise that NEXTEV TCR decided to resign Turvey for the 2015/16 season, partnering him with Piquet for the full season. Unfortunately for both drivers, the NEXTEV TCR FormulaE 001 proved to be a pig of a car, with both struggling to get any solid running at the 2015 Donington Test. Yet, fortune would favour the Brit at the opening round of the season, with Turvey surviving well to earn sixth place at the season opener in Beijing, a result which the team could only dream of after pre-season.
As it happened, Turvey's sixth place in Beijing would prove to be the best result of the season for the team, although the Brit would be more competitive after the 2015 Punta del Este Test. A ninth place at the 2016 Buenos Aires ePrix was followed by a run of races where Turvey challenged for points but ultimately fell short. Indeed, Turvey would not score again until the season ending race in London, with the Brit securing a final point for the season after a race long scrap with teammate Piquet, the first time they had both scored in the same race all season.
Turvey's ability to beat Piquet consistently in 2015/16 saw him retained for the 2016/17 season, as NEXTEV attempted to build a significantly better car. The new car did indeed prove to be an improvement on the old car, with both Turvey and Piquet able to complete multiple laps throughout the 2016 Donington Test, with the Brit by far the quicker of the two.
It was a seemingly strong start to the season for Turvey and Piquet, the pair locking out the front row at the season opener in Hong Kong. However, both would slip down the order during the race, with Turvey ending up in eighth, three places ahead of teammate Piquet. Turvey would also be the stronger of the two in Marrakech, ending the race up in seventh having missed out on a Super Pole slot.
Turvey would get back into the Super Pole shootout in Buenos Aires, although he would once again slip down the order during the race, ending the day in ninth. The Brit then claimed pole in Mexico City after Daniel Abt was excluded from the results, although Turvey's race was ruined early on with electrical gremlins. Pointless performances then followed in Monte Carlo and Paris.
Turvey's quali pace deserted him for the second half of the season, leaving the Brit to fight for only minor points finishes in the two Berlin. A season best finish of sixth followed in the first New York ePrix, although Turvey would not score at all in the following three races. Come the end of the season, Turvey had slipped to twelfth in the Drivers' Championship standings, one place behind Piquet whom had ended the season with a run of strong results.
Turvey: Team LeaderEdit
Piquet left the newly renamed NIO Formula E Team ahead of the 2017/18 season, meaning Turvey was promoted to be the team's lead driver. The Brit was joined at the team by debutante Luca Filippi, with the pair both taking part in the 2017 Valencia Test. Turvey would impress throughout the test with his one lap pace, topping the time sheets on two of the three days, and claiming the fastest time overall with a 1:21.822.
Full Formula E RecordEdit
Shown below are a series of tables outlining Oliver Turvey's career in Formula E in statistical form.
Formula E EntriesEdit
The list below includes all of the teams and cars, as well as overall finishing positions for Oliver Turvey during their FE career:
|Oliver Turvey's Overall Formula E Record|
|2014/15||NEXTEV TCR||88||Spark-Renault SRT_01E||22nd||4|
|2015/16||NEXTEV TCR||88||NEXTEV TCR FormulaE 001||14th||11|
|2016/17||NextEV NIO||88||NEXTEV TCR FormulaE 002||12th||26|
|2017/18||NIO Formula E Team||16||NextEV NIO 003|
Below is a table showing Oliver Turvey's full Formula E record.
|FIA Formula E Championship Record|
Videos and Images:
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 Sam Smith, 'NEXTEV TCR to split with Campos for season three', motorsport.com, (Motorsport Network, 24/04/2016), http://www.motorsport.com/formula-e/news/nextev-tcr-to-split-with-campos-for-season-three-689455/, (Accessed 08/07/2016)
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 'Bird hails ‘unbelievable’ end to season', fiaformulae.com, (FIA Formula E, 28/06/2015), http://fiaformulae.com/en/news/2015/june/bird-hails-unbelievable-end-to-season.aspx, (Accessed 30/06/2015)
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 'Di Grassi produces masterpiece in Mexico', fiaformulae.com, (FIA Formula E, 01/04/2017), http://www.fiaformulae.com/en/news/2017/april/di-grassi-produces-masterpiece-in-mexico/, (Accessed 02/04/2017)
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 'Filippi joins Turvey at NIO Formula E', fiaformulae.com, (FIA Formula E, 02/10/2017), http://www.fiaformulae.com/en/news/2017/september/filippi-joins-turvey-at-nio-formula-e/, (Accessed 02/10/2017)
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 5.2 5.3 5.4 5.5 'Driver's Club: Oliver Turvey', fiaformulae.com, (FIA Formula E, 2015), http://fiaformulae.com/en/drivers-club/oliver-turvey.aspx, (Accessed 16/05/2015)
- ↑ 'Turvey gets NEXTEV TCR drive', fiaformulae.com, (FIA Formula E, 18/06/2015), http://fiaformulae.com/en/news/2015/june/turvey-gets-nextev-tcr-drive.aspx, (Accessed 18/06/2015)
- ↑ 'Turvey completes NEXTEV line-up', fiaformulae.com, (FIA Formula E, 14/09/2015), http://www.fiaformulae.com/en/news/2015/september/turvey-completes-nextev-line-up.aspx, (Accessed 17/09/2015)
- ↑ 'Buemi to the max in Beijing', fiaformulae.com, (FIA Formula E, 24/10/2015),http://fiaformulae.com/en/news/2015/october/buemi-wins-swusp-beijing-eprix.aspx, (Accessed 25/10/2015)
- ↑ 'Buemi flies in Punta test', fiaformulae.com, (FIA Formula E, 20/12/2015), http://fiaformulae.com/en/news/2015/december/buemi-flies-in-punta-test.aspx, (Accessed 21/12/2015)
- ↑ 'BUEMI WINS TITLE AFTER SPECTACULAR FINALE: VISA FASTEST LAP ENDS UP DECIDING THE 2015/16 FIA FORMULA E CHAMPIONSHIP', fiaformulae.com, (FIA Formula E, 03/07/2016), http://fiaformulae.com/en/news/2016/july/buemi-wins-title-after-spectacular-finale/, (Accessed 04/07/2016)
- ↑ 11.0 11.1 'Buemi holds on in Hong Kong', fiaformulae.com, (FIA Formula E, 09/10/2016), http://www.fiaformulae.com/en/news/2016/october/buemi-holds-on-in-hong-kong/, (Accessed 09/10/2016)
- ↑ 'Buemi magnificent in Marrakesh', fiaformulae.com, (FIA Formula E, 12/11/2016), http://www.fiaformulae.com/en/news/2016/november/buemi-magnificent-in-marrakesh/, (Accessed 12/11/2016)
- ↑ 'Buemi becomes hat-trick hero in Buenos Aires', fiaformulae.com, (FIA Formula E, 18/02/2017), http://www.fiaformulae.com/en/news/2017/february/buemi-becomes-hat-trick-hero-in-buenos-aires/, (Accessed 19/02/2017)
- ↑ 'Buemi gifted win by Mahindra pitstop confusion', fiaformulae.com, (FIA Formula E, 11/06/2017), http://www.fiaformulae.com/en/news/2017/june/buemi-gifted-win-by-mahindra-pitstop-confusion/, (Accessed 17/06/2017)
- ↑ 'Bird soars to historic Qualcomm New York City ePrix win', fiaformulae.com, (FIA Formula E, 15/07/2017), http://www.fiaformulae.com/en/news/2017/july/bird-soars-to-historic-qualcomm-new-york-city-eprix-win/, (Accessed 18/07/2017)
- ↑ 16.0 16.1 'Turvey finishes pre-season testing on top', fiaformulae.com, (FIA Formula E, 05/10/2017), http://www.fiaformulae.com/en/news/2017/october/turvey-finishes-pre-season-testing-on-top/, (Accessed 05/10/2017)