|Name||FIA Formula E New York ePrix|
|Location||Brooklyn Street Circuit, Red Hook, Brooklyn, New York, USA|
|First Race||15th July 2017|
Having originally been founded as part of the Dutch colony of New Netherland in 1624, New Amsterdam would see its first European settlers arrive permanently in the following years. The future site of the city had been occupied by both Native American tribes and failed colonists from France and Span, and would remain a Dutch Colony, run by the Dutch West India Company, until being transferred to the English in 1667. After six years of English rule, New York, as it was then known was recaptured and renamed New Orange, until the future William III, Prince of Orange, transferred the colony back to England in November 1674.
The conclusion of the Anglo-Dutch Wars allowed the newly named New York to develop into an important trading port and a leading city in North America. The City would soon become a key part of the American Revolutionary War, the Battle of Long Island in modern day Brooklyn recorded as the largest battle of the conflict. In 1785 New York would be chosen as the capital of the newly formed United States of America and would see numerous milestones achieved by the fledgling nation.
From then New York became a financial centre for the US, with immigration to the city increasing with every decade. By the start of the twenty-first century New York had cemented itself as America's biggest and most important city, although it had officially lost its status as capital to Washington D.C. Instead, New York became home to the United Nations Headquarters and a global city, while its cultural development saw the city surpass Paris as the centre of the art world.
Formula E HistoryEdit
New York was originally rumoured to be a host city for the very first season of the FIA Formula E Championship, although it would not appear in either the first or second season calendars. Instead, a deal was concluded for New York to host the final two races of the 2016/17 season, with the provisional calendar officially announcing its inclusion. The official calendar then saw the rounds in New York and Montreal switched around, meaning it would be the Canadian city that hosted the season finale, after concerns about time to get the Formula E equipment over the boarder.
The circuit for the inaugural New York ePrix was revealed in the build up to the season opening Hong Kong ePrix. The area of Red Hook, within the borough of Brooklyn was chosen to host the series, with the circuit itself running near Pier 11 in the shadow of the Statue of Liberty.
A full list of records for the New York ePrix are outlined below, including a list of race winners.
Below is a list of all of the winners of ePrix held in New York:
|New York ePrix Winners List|
|2016/17||2017 FIA Formula E New York ePrix||Brooklyn Street Circuit||15th July 2017||TBC||Report|
|2016/17||2017 FIA Formula E New York ePrix||Brooklyn Street Circuit||16th July 2017||TBC||Report|
Videos and Images:
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 'CALENDAR: NEW YORK, USA', fiaformulae.com, (FIA Formula E, 2016), http://www.fiaformulae.com/en/calendar, (Accessed 25/10/2016)
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 2.3 2.4 2.5 2.6 2.7 2.8 'New York City', wikipedia.org, (Wikipedia, 21/10/2016), https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_York_City, (Accessed 25/10/2016)
- ↑ 'From Hong Kong to New York: FIVE NEW CITIES FOR THIRD FORMULA E SEASON', fiaformulae.com, (FIA Formula E, 02/07/2016), http://fiaformulae.com/en/news/2016/july/from-hong-kong-to-new-york/, (Accessed 02/07/2016)
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 4.2 'FIA RELEASES REVISED SEASON THREE CALENDAR: DATE SWAP FOR NEW YORK CITY AND MONTREAL', fiaformulae.com, (FIA Formula E, 28/09/2016), http://fiaformulae.com/en/news/2016/september/fia-releases-revised-season-three-formula-e-calendar/, (Accessed 28/09/2016)
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 'Formula E reveals location for New York City ePrix', fiaformulae.com, (FIA Formula E, 21/09/2016), http://www.fiaformulae.com/en/news/2016/september/formula-e-reveals-location-for-new-york-city-eprix/, (Accessed 25/10/2016)
|Formula E Host Cities|
|Long Beach||Mexico City||Miami||Montreal||New York|
|Buenos Aires||Punta del Este|