|NIO Formula E Team|
|Début||2014 Beijing ePrix|
|Key People||Steven Lu; Yu Liu|
|Driver(s)||Oliver Turvey (No. 88)|
Luca Filippi (No.68)
|Car||NextEV NIO 003|
|Last Season||6th (59 pt(s))|
|First Win||2015 Long Beach ePrix|
|Entrant||NIO Formula E Team|
|Oliver Turvey||Luca Filippi|
|10th (46 Pt(s))||21st (1 Pt(s))|
|8th (47 Pt(s))|
The NIO Formula E Team, previously known as China Racing, NextEV TCR and NextEV NIO, were an entrant in the 2017/18 ABB FIA Formula E Championship, fielding Oliver Turvey and rookie Luca Filippi as their drivers. The NIO FE Team use powertrains built by NIO (formerly NextEV), and have competed since the inaugural 2014/15 campaign.
China Racing were originally formed in 2004, taking part in the A1 GP Series. They have, more recently, competed in FIA GT1 and organised numerous events in China, while also associating themselves with some of the biggest electronics companies in their home nation.
Formula E HistoryEdit
Having started the season as China Racing, NEXTEV TCR were only the second team to be announced for the championship in February 2013. China Racing combined their entry with a statement that they intend to have their own built car in the championship within three years. Jérôme d'Ambrosio tested for the team during the first four days of the 2014 Donington Test, joined on the fourth day by Juan Manuel López. Nelson Piquet Jr. and Ho-Pin Tung were later named as their two nominated drivers for the season, both attending the 2014 Beijing ePrix.
Three other drivers would be named by them for NEXTEV TCR during the 2014/15 campaign, as Ho-Pin Tung left the team after the 2015 Buenos Aires ePrix, having been unable to attend many of the remaining races. Piquet was the team's star driver, proving his worth at the 2015 Long Beach ePrix by taking a dominant victory, putting himself into title contention. Charles Pic raced for the team from Miami until Berlin, with Antonio Garcia taking turns in Punta del Este and Moscow.
With Piquet taking a second victory in the 2015 Moscow ePrix, NEXTEV TCR were on the verge of taking a title, although their Teams' challenge was over once e.dams-Renault took the points they needed to win with a race to spare. With Oliver Turvey joining the team for the London double header, Piquet was successful in defending his Championship lead, ultimately winning the title by a single point.
NEXTEV were confident ahead of their first season as a manufacturer, with Piquet offered a big-money deal to keep him at the team. The team also brought in British racer Turvey on a full season deal to partner their World Champion, while the new NEXTEV TCR FormulaE 001 prepared to make its public debut at the 2015 Donington Test. Unfortunately for the team, the new car proved to be a massive headache during the test, with numerous problems preventing Turvey and Piquet from completing any significant mileage.
The season opening round in Beijing would prove to be a better run for the team, with Turvey completing an excellent drive to take sixth, the car proving to be a brilliant preserver of energy. Piquet then managed to score in the 2015 Putrajaya ePrix, again through a conservative drive, before the car showed its lack of pace in Punta del Este. Turvey secured another couple of points in Buenos Aires, before the team hit a terrible run of form that saw them fail to score until the season ending double header in London. There would be some joy for the team in the finale, with Piquet setting fastest lap in the 2016 London ePrix I, before both he and Turvey scored points in the final race.
Piquet and Turvey were retained by the team, who had started development on their 2016/17 challenger as early as permitted by the FIA. The new FormulaE 002 was put through a gruelling shakedown programme ahead of the 2016 Donington Test, with the team confident that the new car would at least complete a long run, unlike its predecessor. Their hopes were relieved when Turvey and Piquet both enjoyed a problem free test, although the car was well down the pecking order in terms of outright pace.
For 2017/18 NextEV NIO changed their name to the NIO Formula E Team, with the team now registered as a British entry with operations based in London and Donington Park. Furthermore the team would lose season one Champion Piquet to Jaguar Racing, meaning they had to find someone to partner new lead driver Turvey for the season. They duly hired experienced Italian racing driver Luca Filippi to partner the Brit, while Ma Qing Hua was hired as their reserve driver.
Turvey's one lap pace with the new NextEV NIO 003 would be impressive during the 2017 Valencia Test, with the Brit setting the fastest time overall across the three days. Yet, strong one lap pace did not translate to excellent race pace, with Turvey failing to score at the opening round, as Filippi claimed his maiden points finish. Things went better for Turvey in the second race in Hong Kong, with the Brit finishing sixth as teammate Filippi retired.
A difficult couple of races would follow in Marrakech and Santiago, with neither Turvey nor Filippi scoring at all. The team would also have a less than impressive run at the 2018 Rookie Test, with Alexandre Imperatori and Harry Tincknell solidly in the bottom half of the table. Yet Turvey was not to be deterred, and duly recorded a stunning second place in the 2018 Mexico City E-Prix, fending off season two Champion Sébastien Buemi in the closing stages in a thrilling final lap fight.
Unfortunately for NIO that would be as good as it got, with Turvey only managing to finish seventh in Punta del Este as Filippi failed to score once again. Both then failed to score in Rome, before Ma replaced Filippi ahead of the Paris E-Prix, with NIO exercising their right to change drivers during the season. Unfortunately for them, Ma's would remain true to his previous FE form and duly failed to score after a start-line issue, while Turvey claimed a couple of points in ninth.
Turvey would pull out another strong result in Berlin as Filippi returned, the Brit claiming fifth after a race long battle with Jean-Éric Vergne and Buemi to stay on the podium. The Brit picked up another points score in Zürich, before a heavy accident in practice ruled him out of the season finale in New York. NIO were therefore forced to field a single pair of cars for Filippi in the penultimate race, before Ma took over Turvey's rebuilt pair for the final race of the season, although neither he nor Filippi would score.
Formula E RecordEdit
The tables below show NIO Formula E Team's full record in the FIA Formula E Championship.
Formula E EntriesEdit
The table below given and overview of NIO Formula E Team's entries in Formula E:
|NIO Formula E Team's overall Formula E Record|
|Season||Official name||No.||Drivers||DC Pos.||DC Pts.||Car||TC Pos.||TC Pts.|
|2014/15|| China Racing|
|88||Ho-Pin Tung||26th||0||Spark-Renault SRT_01E||4th||152|
|99||Nelson Piquet Jr.||1st||144|
|2015/16||NEXTEV TCR||1||Nelson Piquet Jr.||15th||8||NextEV TCR FormulaE 001||9th||19|
|2016/17||NextEV NIO||3||Nelson Piquet Jr.||11th||33||NextEV FormulaE 002||6th||59|
|2017/18||NIO Formula E Team||68||Luca Filippi||21st||1||NextEV NIO 003||8th||47|
|68*||Ma Qing Hua||23rd||0|
Listed below are the full career results of NIO Formula E Team:
|FIA Formula E Championship Record|
Videos and Images:
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3 1.4 1.5 'Team: China Racing', fiaformulae.com, (FIA Formula E, 2015), http://www.fiaformulae.com/en/teams/china-racing.aspx, (Accessed 17/07/2015)
- ↑ 'Nelson Piquet Jr and Ho-Pin Tung sign for China Racing', fiaformulae.com, (FIA Formula E, 21/08/2014), http://www.fiaformulae.com/en/news/2014/august/nelson-piquet-jr-and-ho-pin-tung-sign-for-china-racing.aspx, (Accessed 30/04/2015)
- ↑ 'Pic returns to Formula E with China Racing', fiaformulae.com, (FIA Formula E, 12/03/2015), http://www.fiaformulae.com/en/news/2015/march/charles-pic-replaces-ho-pin-tung-at-china-racing.aspx, (Accessed 30/04/2015)
- ↑ 'Emotional Piquet emulates his father', fiaformulae.com, (FIA Formula E, 04/04/2015), http://www.fiaformulae.com/en/news/2015/april/piquet-cruises-to-victory-in-long-beach.aspx, (Accessed 30/04/2015)
- ↑ 'Garcia joins China Racing in Uruguay', fiaformulae.com, (FIA Formula E, 01/12/2014), http://www.fiaformulae.com/en/news/2014/december/garcia-joins-china-racing-in-uruguay.aspx, (Accessed 30/04/2015)
- ↑ 'Buemi’s stroll in the park', fiaformulae.com, (FIA Formula E, 27/06/2015), http://fiaformulae.com/en/news/2015/june/buemi-wins-as-edams-renault-clinch-team-title.aspx, (Accessed 30/06/2015)
- ↑ 'Bird hails ‘unbelievable’ end to season', fiaformulae.com, (FIA Formula E, 28/06/2015), http://fiaformulae.com/en/news/2015/june/bird-hails-unbelievable-end-to-season.aspx, (Accessed 30/06/2015)
- ↑ 'Nelson Piquet Jr signs multi-year Formula E deal', motorsport.com, (Motorsport.com 16/05/2015), http://www.motorsport.com/formula-e/news/nelson-piquet-jr-signs-multi-year-formula-e-deal/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter, (Accessed 16/05/2015)
- ↑ 'Turvey completes NEXTEV line-up', fiaformulae.com, (FIA Formula E, 14/09/2015), http://www.fiaformulae.com/en/news/2015/september/turvey-completes-nextev-line-up.aspx, (Accessed 17/09/2015)
- ↑ 'Buemi to the max in Beijing', fiaformulae.com, (FIA Formula E, 24/10/2015),http://fiaformulae.com/en/news/2015/october/buemi-wins-swusp-beijing-eprix.aspx, (Accessed 25/10/2015)
- ↑ 'Di Grassi keeps his cool to win in Putrajaya', fiaformulae.com, (FIA Formula E, 07/11/2015), http://fiaformulae.com/en/news/2015/november/di-grassi-keeps-his-cool-to-win-in-putrajaya.aspx, (Accessed 22/11/2015)
- ↑ 'Bird holds off Buemi for BA win', fiaformulae.com, (FIA Formula E, 06/02/2016), http://fiaformulae.com/en/news/2016/february/bird-holds-off-buemi-for-ba-win.aspx, (Accessed 22/03/2016)
- ↑ 'BUEMI WINS TITLE AFTER SPECTACULAR FINALE: VISA FASTEST LAP ENDS UP DECIDING THE 2015/16 FIA FORMULA E CHAMPIONSHIP', fiaformulae.com, (FIA Formula E, 03/07/2016), http://fiaformulae.com/en/news/2016/july/buemi-wins-title-after-spectacular-finale/, (Accessed 04/07/2016)
- ↑ 'NextEV RETAIN NELSON PIQUET JR AND OLIVER TURVEY: NEXTEV REVEAL DRIVER LINE-UP AND NEW LIVERY FOR 2016/17 SEASON', fiaformulae.com, (FIA Formula E, 23/08/2016), http://fiaformulae.com/en/news/2016/august/nextev-retain-nelson-piquet-jr-and-oliver-turvey/, (Accessed 23/08/2016)
- ↑ 'About NIO', nio.io, (NIO, 2018), https://www.nio.io/about, (Accessed 26/05/2018)
- ↑ 16.0 16.1 'Filippi joins Turvey at NIO Formula E', fiaformulae.com, (FIA Formula E, 02/10/2017), http://www.fiaformulae.com/en/news/2017/september/filippi-joins-turvey-at-nio-formula-e/, (Accessed 02/10/2017)
- ↑ 'Turvey finishes pre-season testing on top', fiaformulae.com, (FIA Formula E, 05/10/2017), http://www.fiaformulae.com/en/news/2017/october/turvey-finishes-pre-season-testing-on-top/, (Accessed 05/10/2017)
- ↑ Cite error: Invalid
<ref>tag; no text was provided for refs named
- ↑ Luke Smith, 'NIO Enters Tincknell, Imperatori for Rookie Test, e-racing365.com, (John Dagys Media LLC, 03/01/2018), http://e-racing365.com/formula-e/nio-enters-tincknell-imperatori-to-rookie-test/, (Accessed 03/01/2018)
- ↑ 'Abt finally clinches first victory in Mexico City', fiaformulae.com, (FIA Formula E, 03/03/2018), http://www.fiaformulae.com/en/news/2018/march/abt-finally-clinches-first-victory-in-mexico-city/, (Accessed 04/03/2018)
- ↑ 'JEV holds off di Grassi in battle for Punta del Este', fiaformulae.com, (FIA Formula E, 17/03/2018), http://www.fiaformulae.com/en/news/2018/march/jev-holds-off-di-grassi-in-battle-for-punta-del-este/, (Accessed 17/03/2018)
- ↑ 'Ma Qing Hua gets NIO drive for Qatar Airways Paris E-Prix', fiaformulae.com, (FIA Formula E, 17/04/2018), http://www.fiaformulae.com/en/news/2018/april/ma-qing-hua-gets-nio-drive-for-qatar-airways-paris-e-prix/, (Accessed 17/04/2018)
- ↑ 'Fairytale ending for home race hero Vergne in Paris', fiaformulae.com, (FIA Formula E, 28/04/2018), http://www.fiaformulae.com/en/news/2018/april/fairytale-ending-for-home-race-hero-vergne-in-paris/, (Accessed 29/04/2018)
- ↑ 'Abt leads Audi one-two win at home race in Berlin', fiaformulae.com, (FIA Formula E, 19/05/2018), http://www.fiaformulae.com/en/news/2018/may/abt-leads-audi-one-two-win-at-home-race-in-berlin/, (Accessed 19/05/2018)
- ↑ 'Di Grassi victorious as Vergne clinches championship crown', fiaformulae.com, (FIA Formula E, 14/07/2018), http://www.fiaformulae.com/en/news/2018/july/di-grassi-victorious-as-vergne-clinches-championship-crown/, (Accessed 15/07/2018)
- ↑ John Dagys, 'Turvey Ruled Out for Weekend; Hua to Sub on Sunday', e-racing365.com, (John Dagys Media, LLC., 14/07/2018), https://e-racing365.com/formula-e/turvey-ruled-out-for-weekend/, (Accessed 15/07/2018)
- ↑ 'Nine manufacturers homologated for Season 5', fiaformulae.com, (FIA Formula E, 21/03/2017), http://www.fiaformulae.com/en/news/2017/march/nine-season-5-powertrain-manufacturers-homologated/, (Accessed 22/03/2017)
- ↑ Cite error: Invalid
<ref>tag; no text was provided for refs named