|NIO Formula E Team|
|Début||2014 Beijing ePrix|
|Key People||Steven Lu; Yu Liu|
|Driver(s)||Oliver Turvey (No. 88)|
Luca Filippi (No.68)
|Car||NextEV NIO 003|
|Last Season||6th (59 pt(s))|
|First Win||2015 Long Beach ePrix|
|Entrant||NIO Formula E Team|
|Oliver Turvey||Luca Filippi|
|9th (46 Pt(s))||20th (1 Pt(s))|
|8th (47 Pt(s))|
The NIO Formula E Team, previously known as China Racing, NextEV TCR or NextEV NIO, are an entrant in the 2017/18 ABB FIA Formula E Championship, fielding Oliver Turvey and rookie Luca Filippi as their drivers. The NIO FE Team use powertrains built by NIO (formerly NextEV), and have competed since the inaugural 2014/15 campaign.
China Racing were originally formed in 2004, taking part in the A1 GP Series. They have, more recently, competed in FIA GT1 and organised numerous events in China, while also associating themselves with some of the biggest electronics companies in their home nation.
Formula E HistoryEdit
Having started the season as China Racing, NEXTEV TCR were only the second team to be announced for the championship in February 2013. China Racing combined their entry with a statement that they intend to have their own built car in the championship within three years. Jérôme d'Ambrosio tested for the team during the first four days of the 2014 Donington Test, joined on the fourth day by Juan Manuel López. Nelson Piquet Jr. and Ho-Pin Tung were later named as their two nominated drivers for the season, both attending the 2014 Beijing ePrix.
Three other drivers would be named by them for NEXTEV TCR during the 2014/15 campaign, as Ho-Pin Tung left the team after the 2015 Buenos Aires ePrix, having been unable to attend many of the remaining races. Piquet was the team's star driver, proving his worth at the 2015 Long Beach ePrix by taking a dominant victory, putting himself into title contention. Charles Pic raced for the team from Miami until Berlin, with Antonio Garcia taking turns in Punta del Este and Moscow.
With Piquet taking a second victory in the 2015 Moscow ePrix, NEXTEV TCR were on the verge of taking a title, although their Teams' challenge was over once e.dams-Renault took the points they needed to win with a race to spare. With Oliver Turvey joining the team for the London double header, Piquet was successful in defending his Championship lead, ultimately winning the title by a single point.
NEXTEV were confident ahead of their first season as a manufacturer, with Piquet offered a big-money deal to keep him at the team. The team also brought in British racer Turvey on a full season deal to partner their World Champion, while the new NEXTEV TCR FormulaE 001 prepared to make its public debut at the 2015 Donington Test. Unfortunately for the team, the new car proved to be a massive headache during the test, with numerous problems preventing Turvey and Piquet from completing any significant mileage.
The season opening round in Beijing would prove to be a better run for the team, with Turvey completing an excellent drive to take sixth, the car proving to be a brilliant preserver of energy. Piquet then managed to score in the 2015 Putrajaya ePrix, again through a conservative drive, before the car showed its lack of pace in Punta del Este. Turvey secured another couple of points in Buenos Aires, before the team hit a terrible run of form that saw them fail to score until the season ending double header in London. There would be some joy for the team in the finale, with Piquet setting fastest lap in the 2016 London ePrix I, before both he and Turvey scored points in the final race.
Piquet and Turvey were retained by the team, who had started development on their 2016/17 challenger as early as permitted by the FIA. The new FormulaE 002 was put through a gruelling shakedown programme ahead of the 2016 Donington Test, with the team confident that the new car would at least complete a long run, unlike its predecessor. Their hopes were relieved when Turvey and Piquet both enjoyed a problem free test, although the car was well down the pecking order in terms of outright pace.
Formula E RecordEdit
The tables below show NIO Formula E Team's full record in the FIA Formula E Championship.
Formula E EntriesEdit
The table below given and overview of NIO Formula E Team's entries in Formula E:
|NIO Formula E Team's overall Formula E Record|
|Season||Official name||No.||Drivers||DC Pos.||DC Pts.||Car||TC Pos.||TC Pts.|
|2014/15|| China Racing|
|88||Ho-Pin Tung||26th||0||Spark-Renault SRT_01E||4th||152|
|99||Nelson Piquet Jr.||1st||144|
|2015/16||NEXTEV TCR||1||Nelson Piquet Jr.||15th||8||NextEV TCR FormulaE 001||9th||19|
|2016/17||NextEV NIO||3||Nelson Piquet Jr.||11th||33||NextEV FormulaE 002||6th||59|
|2017/18||NIO Formula E Team||68||Luca Filippi||NextEV NIO 003|
|68||Ma Qing Hua|
Listed below are the full career results of NIO Formula E Team:
|FIA Formula E Championship Record|
Videos and Images:
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3 1.4 1.5 'Team: China Racing', fiaformulae.com, (FIA Formula E, 2015), http://www.fiaformulae.com/en/teams/china-racing.aspx, (Accessed 17/07/2015)
- ↑ 'Nelson Piquet Jr and Ho-Pin Tung sign for China Racing', fiaformulae.com, (FIA Formula E, 21/08/2014), http://www.fiaformulae.com/en/news/2014/august/nelson-piquet-jr-and-ho-pin-tung-sign-for-china-racing.aspx, (Accessed 30/04/2015)
- ↑ 'Pic returns to Formula E with China Racing', fiaformulae.com, (FIA Formula E, 12/03/2015), http://www.fiaformulae.com/en/news/2015/march/charles-pic-replaces-ho-pin-tung-at-china-racing.aspx, (Accessed 30/04/2015)
- ↑ 'Emotional Piquet emulates his father', fiaformulae.com, (FIA Formula E, 04/04/2015), http://www.fiaformulae.com/en/news/2015/april/piquet-cruises-to-victory-in-long-beach.aspx, (Accessed 30/04/2015)
- ↑ 'Garcia joins China Racing in Uruguay', fiaformulae.com, (FIA Formula E, 01/12/2014), http://www.fiaformulae.com/en/news/2014/december/garcia-joins-china-racing-in-uruguay.aspx, (Accessed 30/04/2015)
- ↑ 'Buemi’s stroll in the park', fiaformulae.com, (FIA Formula E, 27/06/2015), http://fiaformulae.com/en/news/2015/june/buemi-wins-as-edams-renault-clinch-team-title.aspx, (Accessed 30/06/2015)
- ↑ 'Bird hails ‘unbelievable’ end to season', fiaformulae.com, (FIA Formula E, 28/06/2015), http://fiaformulae.com/en/news/2015/june/bird-hails-unbelievable-end-to-season.aspx, (Accessed 30/06/2015)
- ↑ 'Nelson Piquet Jr signs multi-year Formula E deal', motorsport.com, (Motorsport.com 16/05/2015), http://www.motorsport.com/formula-e/news/nelson-piquet-jr-signs-multi-year-formula-e-deal/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter, (Accessed 16/05/2015)
- ↑ 'Turvey completes NEXTEV line-up', fiaformulae.com, (FIA Formula E, 14/09/2015), http://www.fiaformulae.com/en/news/2015/september/turvey-completes-nextev-line-up.aspx, (Accessed 17/09/2015)
- ↑ 'Buemi to the max in Beijing', fiaformulae.com, (FIA Formula E, 24/10/2015),http://fiaformulae.com/en/news/2015/october/buemi-wins-swusp-beijing-eprix.aspx, (Accessed 25/10/2015)
- ↑ 'Di Grassi keeps his cool to win in Putrajaya', fiaformulae.com, (FIA Formula E, 07/11/2015), http://fiaformulae.com/en/news/2015/november/di-grassi-keeps-his-cool-to-win-in-putrajaya.aspx, (Accessed 22/11/2015)
- ↑ 'Bird holds off Buemi for BA win', fiaformulae.com, (FIA Formula E, 06/02/2016), http://fiaformulae.com/en/news/2016/february/bird-holds-off-buemi-for-ba-win.aspx, (Accessed 22/03/2016)
- ↑ 'BUEMI WINS TITLE AFTER SPECTACULAR FINALE: VISA FASTEST LAP ENDS UP DECIDING THE 2015/16 FIA FORMULA E CHAMPIONSHIP', fiaformulae.com, (FIA Formula E, 03/07/2016), http://fiaformulae.com/en/news/2016/july/buemi-wins-title-after-spectacular-finale/, (Accessed 04/07/2016)
- ↑ 'NextEV RETAIN NELSON PIQUET JR AND OLIVER TURVEY: NEXTEV REVEAL DRIVER LINE-UP AND NEW LIVERY FOR 2016/17 SEASON', fiaformulae.com, (FIA Formula E, 23/08/2016), http://fiaformulae.com/en/news/2016/august/nextev-retain-nelson-piquet-jr-and-oliver-turvey/, (Accessed 23/08/2016)