|Début||2014 Beijing ePrix|
|Key People||Anand Mahindra; Dilbagh Gill; S. P. Shukla|
|Driver(s)||Jérôme d'Ambrosio (No.64)|
Pascal Wehrlein (No.94)
|Last Season||4th (138 pt(s))|
|First Win||2017 Berlin ePrix I|
|Jérôme d'Ambrosio||Pascal Wehrlein|
|1st (40 Pt(s))||23rd (0 Pt(s))|
|2nd (40 Pt(s))|
Mahindra Racing are an Indian based team, who will compete in the 2018/19 ABB FIA Formula E Championship with Pascal Wehrlein, Felix Rosenqvist and Jérôme d'Ambrosio as their drivers. The official team of car manufacturer Mahindra & Mahindra, Mahindra Racing are a founding member of the Formula E Championship, and race cars built by the Indian car manufacturer.
Mahindra are among the more successful FE teams in its short history, with several wins to their name courtesy of the efforts of former driver Felix Rosenqvist. Indeed, Rosenqvist would start the fourth FE season as a title contender, only for both himself and Mahindra to fade during the season, while teammate Nick Heidfeld opted to retire from the series at the end of 2017/18.
Mahindra Racing were formed in 2011, intending to compete in the FIM Moto GP championship as a manufacturer. A part of the Mahindra Reva Company, Mahindra Racing have experience with electric cars, and intend to use the Formula E championship as a development programme for their own projects.
Formula E HistoryEdit
Mahindra Racing began the construction on their own car during the inaugural 2014/15 season, intending to run their own powertrain during the following 2015/16 campaign. However, the team used the Spark-Renault SRT_01E as their car for the season as per the regulations, with Karun Chandhok and Bruno Senna as their drivers. After promising results for both in the early stages of the season, the Team's hopes of a strong season were set, with the 2015 Long Beach ePrix seeing them sit in sixth, and form seemingly on their side, despite Chandhok and Senna not scoring in the same weekend to that point.
But it was not to be, however, as luck and pace deserted both Senna and Chandhok over the following races, with no points scored in the following four races. Their luck finally returned in the season ending 2015 London ePrix II, with Senna taking fourth in the race, and proving instrumental in Nelson Piquet Jr.'s title charge. Mahindra ended the series' début season in eighth, but safe in the knowledge that luck had not been on their side throughout.
Parent company Mahindra & Mahindra obtained manufacturer status for the 2015/16 edition of the Championship during the first season, and immediately persuaded McLaren to develop a powertrain for them. The evolved version of the powertrain from 2014/15 was bolted into the minor modifications that Mahindra were allowed to make to the Spark-Renault SRT_01E and christened the M2ELECTRO. The team also managed to secure the services of Nick Heidfeld for the season, with Chandhok leaving the team, while Senna would be retained.
After running a successful programme at the 2015 Donington Test, Heidfeld produced an excellent performance at the season opening race in Beijing to finish in third, despite a poor pitstop which ultimately cost the German second. Putrajaya saw both Senna and Heidfeld score, before a dismal weekend in Punta del Este saw Oliver Rowland replace an injured Heidfeld, although both Rowland and Senna failed to score. The following rounds went better for the team with double points scores in every race until the end of the season, the team's strongest display coming at the 2016 Long Beach ePrix with a fourth-fifth finish.
The season finale in London saw the team take another podium, this time courtesy of Senna's efforts in the 2016 London ePrix I. Having produced the team's best result in qualifying, Senna was able to breakaway from the pack with race leader Nicolas Prost at the start to cruise to the podium, with Heidfeld down in eighth. The pair went on to score a sixth-seventh finish in the season finale, with their two drivers ending the season a point apart in the overall standings.
Senna left the team at the end of the 2015/16 season, allowing Mahindra to bring in youngster Felix Rosenqvist to partner Heidfeld for the 2016/17 season. The pair debuted the Mahindra M3 Electro at the 2016 Donington Test, with the car proving to be a mid-pack runner once again.
The Fourth WallEdit
Both Heidfeld and Rosenqvist would be retained by the factory Mahindra squad for 2017/18, with both taking part in the 2017 Valencia Test, although Heidfeld's car would be loaned to Daniel Juncadella for one of the three days. Yet, Heidfeld would go on to enjoy a successful start to the season, claiming third in the first race in Hong Kong E-Prix, before Rosenqvist claimed victory in the second race. Indeed, Rosenqvist's victory, which came after the disqualification of Daniel Abt, would see Mahindra top the Championship at the end of the opening round, with the Swede also claiming pole and fastest lap.
Mahindra's good form carried over into Marrakech, with Rosenqvist again claiming victory, and the Championship lead, while Heidfeld scored solid points. The team then handed Juncadella another drive in their cars, partnering him with Sam Dejonghe for the 2018 Rookie Test, with Dejonghe also signed to be the team's development driver. Rosenqvist and Heidfeld then returned to take part in the 2018 Santiago E-Prix, although both Rosenqvist and Mahindra would lose their leads in their respective Championships as the Swede finished fourth, while Heidfeld retired.
It was from the Santiago E-Prix on wards that Mahindra's campaign began to unravel, with Heidfeld going on to retire in the following two races, while being further plagued by mechanical issues throughout. Rosenqvist would also suffer, with the Swede claiming pole at both the Mexico City and Rome E-Prix, only to retire with battery and suspension failures respectively. Rosenqvist then picked up a handful of points in Paris as Heidfeld struggled for pace, before the pair fought for the final point in Berlin as their title hopes came to a premature end. Indeed, it would take until the final race in New York City for the team to achieve a double score again, by which stage Mahindra had slipped to fourth in the Teams' Championship.
Favour of Fortune?Edit
Heidfeld would leave the Mahindra squad ahead of the 2018/19 season, while Rosenqvist was actively evaluating an offer to join the Verizon Indy Car Series for 2019, meaning Mahindra would have to replace one if not both of their drivers for the fifth FE season. They ultimately decided to hire Dragon reject Jérôme d'Ambrosio for the campaign, before sweeping in to sign ex-Mercedes backed Formula One racer Pascal Wehrlein to partner the Belgian, although it was later revealed that Felix Rosenqvist would stand-in for the German at the opening round as contractual issues prevented Wehrlein from taking part. Regardless, Mahindra would perform admirably during the 2018 Valencia Test, with Wehrlein marginally the quicker out of himself and d'Ambrosio having tested the car prior to the public test.
Formula E RecordEdit
The tables below show Mahindra Racing's full record in the FIA Formula E Championship.
Formula E EntriesEdit
The table below gives an overview of Mahindra Racing's entries in Formula E:
|Mahindra Racing's overall Formula E Record|
|Season||Official name||No.||Drivers||DC Pos.||DC Pts.||Car||TC Pos.||TC Pts.|
|2014/15||Mahindra Racing||5||Karun Chandhok||17th||18||Spark-Renault SRT_01E||8th||58|
|2015/16||Mahindra Racing||21||Bruno Senna||11th||52||Mahindra M2Electro||5th||105|
|2016/17||Mahindra Racing||19||Felix Rosenqvist||3rd||127||Mahindra M3Electro||3rd||215|
|2017/18||Mahindra Racing||19||Felix Rosenqvist||6th||96||Mahindra M4Electro||4th||138|
|2018/19||Mahindra Racing||64||Jérôme d'Ambrosio||Mahindra M5Electro|
Listed below are the full career results of Mahindra Racing:
|FIA Formula E Championship Record|
Videos and Images:
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3 1.4 'Teams: Mahindra Racing', fiaformulae.com, (FIA Formula E, 2015), http://www.fiaformulae.com/en/teams/mahindra-racing.aspx, (Accessed 18/07/2015)
- ↑ 'Red hot Rosenqvist hands Mahindra first win', fiaformulae.com, (FIA Formula E, 10/06/2017), http://www.fiaformulae.com/en/news/2017/june/red-hot-rosenqvist-hands-mahindra-first-win/, (Accessed 16/06/2017)
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 3.2 3.3 Sam Smith, 'Wehrlein makes Formula E move with Mahindra', eurosport.co.uk, (Eurosport, 16/10/2018), https://www.eurosport.co.uk/formula-e/wehrlein-makes-formula-e-move-with-mahindra_sto6973387/story.shtml, (Accessed 16/10/2018)
- ↑ 'Emotional Piquet emulates his father', fiaformulae.com, (FIA Formula E, 04/04/2015), http://www.fiaformulae.com/en/news/2015/april/piquet-cruises-to-victory-in-long-beach.aspx, (Accessed 30/04/2015)
- ↑ 'Bird hails ‘unbelievable’ end to season', fiaformulae.com, (FIA Formula E, 28/06/2015), http://fiaformulae.com/en/news/2015/june/bird-hails-unbelievable-end-to-season.aspx, (Accessed 30/06/2015)
- ↑ 'Eight manufacturers to enter Formula E next season', fiaformulae.com, (FIA Formula E, 23/02/2015), http://www.fiaformulae.com/en/news/2015/february/eight-manufacturers-to-enter-fia-formula-e-from-second-season.aspx, (Accessed 30/04/2015)
- ↑ 'FIA homologates manufacturers for second Formula E season',fiaformulae.com, (FIA Formula E, 03/08/2015), http://fiaformulae.com/en/news/2015/august/fia-homologates-manufacturers-for-second-formula-e-season.aspx, (Accessed 03/08/2015)
- ↑ 'Nick Heidfeld joins Senna at Mahindra Racing', fiaformulae.com, (FIA Formula E, 10/08/2015), http://fiaformulae.com/en/news/2015/august/nick-heidfeld-to-drive-for-mahindra-racing.aspx, (Accessed 10/08/2015)
- ↑ 'Buemi to the max in Beijing', fiaformulae.com, (FIA Formula E, 24/10/2015),http://fiaformulae.com/en/news/2015/october/buemi-wins-swusp-beijing-eprix.aspx, (Accessed 25/10/2015)
- ↑ 'Buemi back on top', fiaformulae.com, (FIA Formula E, 19/12/2015), http://fiaformulae.com/en/news/2015/december/buemi-back-on-top.aspx, (Accessed 25/12/2015)
- ↑ 'Di Grassi's Shoreline sensation', fiaformulae.com, (FIA Formula E, 02/04/2016), http://fiaformulae.com/en/news/2016/april/di-grassi-s-shoreline-sensation/, (Accessed 03/04/2016)
- ↑ 12.0 12.1 'BUEMI AND DI GRASSI CHARGE UP THE ORDER, BUT IT’S PROST WHO LEADS THE WAY', fiaformulae.com, (FIA Formula E, 02/07/2016), http://fiaformulae.com/en/news/2016/july/prost-wins-in-style-as-di-grassi-inches-closer-to-title/, (Accessed 03/07/2016)
- ↑ Cite error: Invalid
<ref>tag; no text was provided for refs named
- ↑ 'Mahindra retain Heidfeld & Rosenqvist for season four', fiaformulae.com, (FIA Formula E, 20/09/2017), http://www.fiaformulae.com/en/news/2017/september/mahindra-retain-heidfeld-rosenqvist-for-season-four/, (Accessed 20/09/2017)
- ↑ 15.0 15.1 'Many happy returns: Abt sails to victory in Hong Kong harbour', fiaformulae.com, (FIA Formula E, 03/12/2017), http://www.fiaformulae.com/en/news/2017/december/many-happy-returns-abt-sails-to-victory-in-hong-kong-harbour/, (Accessed 03/12/2017)
- ↑ 'Rosenqvist victorious in 2018 ABB FIA Formula E Marrakesh E-Prix', fiaformulae.com, (FIA Formula E, 13/01/2018), http://www.fiaformulae.com/en/news/2018/january/rosenqvist-victorious-in-2018-abb-fia-formula-e-marrakesh-e-prix/, (Accessed 13/01/2018)
- ↑ Sam Smith, 'Mahindra to Test Juncadella, Dejonghe in Marrakesh', e-racing365.com, (John Dagys Media LLC, 13/12/2017), http://e-racing365.com/formula-e/mahindra-to-test-juncadella-dejonghe-in-marrakesh/, (Accessed 14/12/2017)
- ↑ 'Vergne steals the show in epic Santiago E-Prix', fiaformulae.com, (FIA Formula E, 03/02/2018), http://www.fiaformulae.com/en/news/2018/february/vergne-steals-the-show-in-epic-santiago-e-prix/, (Accessed 03/02/2018)
- ↑ 'Bird claims historic victory in Rome', fiaformulae.com, (FIA Formula E, 14/04/2018), http://www.fiaformulae.com/en/news/2018/april/bird-claims-historic-victory-in-rome/, (Accessed 14/04/2018)
- ↑ 'Abt leads Audi one-two win at home race in Berlin', fiaformulae.com, (FIA Formula E, 19/05/2018), http://www.fiaformulae.com/en/news/2018/may/abt-leads-audi-one-two-win-at-home-race-in-berlin/, (Accessed 19/05/2018)
- ↑ 'Champion Vergne victorious as Audi scoops the teams' title in New York finale', fiaformulae.com, (FIA Formula E, 15/07/2018), http://www.fiaformulae.com/en/news/2018/july/champion-vergne-victorious-as-audi-scoops-the-teams-title-in-new-york-finale/, (Accessed 16/07/2018)
- ↑ Sam Smith, 'Heidfeld Set to Leave Mahindra, Formula E', e-racing365.com, (John Dagys Media, LLC., 17/07/2018), https://e-racing365.com/formula-e/heidfeld-set-to-leave-mahindra-formula-e/, (Accessed 18/07/2018)
- ↑ 23.0 23.1 'Rosenqvist returns to Mahindra for Saudi season opener', fiaformulae.com, (FIA Formula E, 15/11/2018), http://www.fiaformulae.com/en/news/2018/november/rosenqvist-returns-to-mahindra-for-saudi-season-opener/, (Accessed 15/11/2018)