|Date of Birth||9 August 1985|
|Date of Death||Unknown|
|Début||2017 Hong Kong ePrix I|
|Formula E Career|
|Total Entries||11 (11 Starts)|
|Team||NIO Formula E Team|
Yet, Filippi would struggle during his debut season, only securing one points finish as teammate Turvey continued to be the team's lead point scorer.
Filippi moved out of karting and into Formula Renault in his native Italy at the age of 17, making his first step on the professional ladder in 2003. Two seasons in Formula Renault Italia would see Filippi finish a best of third overall, before being offered a seat in Formula One veteran Giancarlo Fisichella's Italian Formula 3000 team. Filippi would also be one of the last drivers to drive a Minardi F1 car at an official test at the end of 2005.
A Formula FutureEdit
Fisichella's investment into the Coloni Motorsport team in GP2 Series in 2006 saw Filippi promoted into GP2, making his debut at the season opening race. However, the Italian would leave mid-way through the season to join a rival team in the Series for the rest of the year, finishing nineteenth overall. A move to Super Nova Racing followed in 2007, with Filippi picking up his first GP2 victory enroute to fourth in the final standings.
Filippi continued to swap teams through 2008, adding his name to the rosters at ART Grand Prix and Arden International, as well as the Honda F1 Team as their test driver. Honda's withdrawal from F1 at the end of 2008 would end the Italian's immediate hopes of a drive in F1, and come the end of the GP2 season, Filippi had failed to pick up a win. That fact prompted him to move back to Super Nova for 2009, with a better season seeing the Italian end the season up in the top five.
2010 proved to be a more successful season for Filippi, as he ended up as runner up in the GP2 Asia Series, before going on to win a race in the Auto GP Championship. 2011 saw Filippi go even better in the full GP2 Series, ending the season in second after a mid-season move back to his original team, now renamed Scuderia Coloni. Filippi also finished runner-up in the Auto GP Championship, although his efforts would quickly be forgotten by a barren 2012 season.
In 2013 Filippi would pick up a handful of drives in the IndyCar Series, competing in four rounds for Barracuda Racing. The Italian continued to compete on an off-hand basis in IndyCar in 2014, before getting a contract to compete in all of the road course races in 2015 for Carpenter Fisher Hartman Racing. Filippi claimed his first podium finish for Carpenter Racing during the season, but failed to secure a renewal for his contract at the end of the season. Filippi would therefore have to endure a barren 2016 season, only competing in a handful of IndyCar races for Dale Coyne Racing.
Formula E HistoryEdit
Filippi was offered a role at the NIO Formula E Team in the build-up to the 2017/18 FIA Formula E Championship, helping the Chinese based effort to develop their new car. The Italian was duly promoted to one of the team's drivers after Nelson Piquet Jr. left the effort ahead of the 2017 Valencia Test, being partnered with Oliver Turvey for the season. During the Valencia Test, Filippi would generally struggle compared to his teammate, but they were more evenly matched after the final day of running.
The Unfortunate OneEdit
Filippi's season would start relatively well, the Italian racer claiming points on his debut in Hong Kong having outpaced teammate Turvey throughout the day. The Italian racer then suffered a total electric failure in his second car in the second Hong Kong E-Prix, before simply lacking pace in Marrakech. A more competitive run in Santiago saw the Italian fall just shy of the points, with a similar scenario following in Mexico City and Punta del Este.
Filipi would also be fairly anonymous at his home race in Rome, before Ma Qing Hua replaced him in Paris as NIO played around with their driver line-up. The Italian made an unspectacular return in Berlin, before retiring in Zürich with an unspecified issue. Filippi's season would then come to an unfortunate end, with the Italian taken out of the season finale in New York City by António Félix da Costa.
Full Formula E RecordEdit
Shown below are a series of tables outlining Luca Filippi's career in Formula E in statistical form.
Formula E EntriesEdit
The list below includes all of the teams and cars, as well as overall finishing positions for Luca Filippi during their FE career:
|Luca Filippi's Overall Formula E Record|
|2017/18||NIO Formula E Team||68||NextEV NIO 003||21st||1|
Below is a table showing Luca Filippi's full Formula E record.
|FIA Formula E Championship Record|
Videos and Images:
- Sarah Stierch, 'Luca Filippi - 2015 GoPro Grand Prix of Sonoma', flickr.com, (Flickr, 29/08/2015), https://www.flickr.com/photos/sarahvain/20990522016/in/photolist-rxYnxb-55mNKZ-55mJnX-5bEHL6-5bJZTy-qJcqPy-8SFteE-xYRUU1-xJmWHL-Hvswuy, (Accessed 03/11/2017) - Cropped from Original
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 'Filippi joins Turvey at NIO Formula E', fiaformulae.com, (FIA Formula E, 02/10/2017), http://www.fiaformulae.com/en/news/2017/september/filippi-joins-turvey-at-nio-formula-e/, (Accessed 02/10/2017)
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 'Bird clinches victory in Hong Kong', fiaformulae.com, (FIA Formula E, 02/12/2017), http://www.fiaformulae.com/en/news/2017/december/bird-clinches-victory-in-hong-kong/, (Accessed 16/12/2017)
- ↑ 3.00 3.01 3.02 3.03 3.04 3.05 3.06 3.07 3.08 3.09 3.10 3.11 3.12 3.13 3.14 3.15 3.16 3.17 3.18 3.19 'Luca Filippi', wikipedia.org, (WikiMedia, 09/10/2017), https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Luca_Filippi, (Accessed 23/10/2017)
- ↑ 'Rosenqvist victorious in 2018 ABB FIA Formula E Marrakesh E-Prix', fiaformulae.com, (FIA Formula E, 13/01/2018), http://www.fiaformulae.com/en/news/2018/january/rosenqvist-victorious-in-2018-abb-fia-formula-e-marrakesh-e-prix/, (Accessed 13/01/2018)
- ↑ 'JEV holds off di Grassi in battle for Punta del Este', fiaformulae.com, (FIA Formula E, 17/03/2018), http://www.fiaformulae.com/en/news/2018/march/jev-holds-off-di-grassi-in-battle-for-punta-del-este/, (Accessed 17/03/2018)
- ↑ 'Ma Qing Hua gets NIO drive for Qatar Airways Paris E-Prix', fiaformulae.com, (FIA Formula E, 17/04/2018), http://www.fiaformulae.com/en/news/2018/april/ma-qing-hua-gets-nio-drive-for-qatar-airways-paris-e-prix/, (Accessed 17/04/2018)
- ↑ 'Di Grassi clinches first season victory in historic Swiss race', fiaformulae.com, (FIA Formula E, 10/06/2018), http://www.fiaformulae.com/en/news/2018/june/di-grassi-clinches-first-season-victory-in-historic-swiss-race/, (Accessed 11/06/2018)
- ↑ 'Champion Vergne victorious as Audi scoops the teams' title in New York finale', fiaformulae.com, (FIA Formula E, 15/07/2018), http://www.fiaformulae.com/en/news/2018/july/champion-vergne-victorious-as-audi-scoops-the-teams-title-in-new-york-finale/, (Accessed 16/07/2018)
- ↑ Sam Smith, 'Filippi Confident of Season Five NIO Seat', e-racing365.com, (John Dagys Media, LLC., 26/07/2018), https://e-racing365.com/formula-e/filippi-confident-of-season-five-nio-race-seat/, (Accessed 27/07/2018)