|Date of Birth||31st July 1978|
|Date of Death||24th August 2015|
|Début||2015 Moscow ePrix|
|Formula E Career|
|Total Entries||1 (1 Starts)|
Justin Wilson (born 31st July 1978 - died 24th August 2015) was a British racing driver, who competed at the 2015 Moscow ePrix for Andretti Autosport during the 2014/15 FIA Formula E Championship. Unfortunately, the Moscow ePrix would be Wilson's only start in Formula E, after he was killed in an accident at the IndyCar ABC Supply 500 at Pocono Raceway in 2015 after getting hit in the head by debris.
The son of an amateur race driver, Wilson started karting from a young age, taking numerous victories and titles in the late 1980s. After numerous seasons in Formula Vauxhall, and single season in Formula Palmer Audi, Wilson attracted a seat in the FIA International F3000 Championship in 2001. After taking the title with a record points haul, Wilson became a test driver for the Minardi F1 Team, although he was hampered by his height (being 6ft 4in at the time).
From 2003, Minardi built a car that Wilson could safely race in, with Wilson ultimately switching to Jaguar mid way through the year. After being released by the team due to a lack of funding, Wilson moved America, ultimately competing in the Champ Car World Series in 2003. After finishing runner-up in Champ Car for two successive years, Wilson moved on to the IZOD IndyCar Series in 2008.
Wilson remained a familiar face in the IndyCar family for the next six seasons, taking regular wins although was never considered at title contender. In that time, Wilson also developed a limited relationship with Sports Car racing, taking part in the 24 Hours of Daytona several times, while also flirting wth other Endurance events.
Formula E HistoryEdit
Wilson was approached by Andretti Autosport in the build up to the 2015 Moscow ePrix, despite several other drivers having had experience in the Spark-Renault SRT_01E. Wilson accepted the offer, and performed strongly on his début to secure a point, battling with several ePrix winners in the process after a clean race. But, with Wilson signing up for the rest of Andretti's IndyCar season, the Brit was replaced by Simona de Silvestro for the season finale in London.
Full Formula E RecordEdit
Shown below are a series of tables outlining Justin Wilson's career in Formula E in statistical form.
Formula E EntriesEdit
The list below includes all of the teams and cars, as well as overall finishing positions for Justin Wilson during their FE career:
|Justin Wilson's Overall Formula E Record|
|2014/15||Andretti Autosport||28||Spark-Renault SRT_01E||25th||1|
Below is a table showing Justin Wilson's full Formula E record.
|FIA Formula E Championship Record|
Videos and Images:
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3 1.4 1.5 1.6 1.7 'Driver's Club: Justin Wilson', fiaformulae.com, (FIA Formula E, 2015), http://www.fiaformulae.com/en/drivers-club/justin-wilson.aspx, (Accessed 14/06/2015)
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 'Alejandro Agag: Statement on the passing of Justin Wilson', fiaformulae.com, (FIA Formula E, 25/08/2015), http://fiaformulae.com/en/news/2015/august/alejandro-agag-statement-on-the-passing-of-justin-wilson.aspx, (Accessed 25/08/2015)
- ↑ 'Justin Wilson to race for Andretti in Moscow', fiaformulae.com, (FIA Formula E, 27/05/2015), http://www.fiaformulae.com/en/news/2015/may/justin-wilson-to-race-for-andretti-in-moscow.aspx, (Accessed 14/06/2015)
- ↑ 'Piquet masters Moscow', fiaformulae.com, (FIA Formula E, 30/06/2015), http://fiaformulae.com/en/news/2015/june/piquet-increases-lead-in-championship-with-moscow-win.aspx, (Accessed 09/06/2015)
- ↑ 'De Silvestro to race in Visa London ePrix', fiaformulae.com, (FIA Formula E, 14/06/2015), http://www.fiaformulae.com/en/news/2015/june/de-silvestro-to-race-in-london-eprix.aspx, (Accessed 14/06/2015)