|Date of Birth||3 December 1992|
|Date of Death||Unknown|
|Début||2014 Beijing ePrix|
|Formula E Career|
|Total Entries||45 (45 Starts)|
|Team||Audi Sport ABT Schaeffler|
Abt would ultimately aid di Grassi in claiming a maiden title in 2016/17, although the German would fail to match his more illustrious teammate's race-to-race successes. Despite his podium-less season, Audi would draft the German into their new factory FE effort for 2017/18, meaning ABT would compete in FE for a fourth straight season.
Abt began karting at the age of six, before entering his first championship at the age of eleven. Abt progressed to the Formula Three Euro Series in 2011, taking three podiums, before stepping up into the GP3 Series the following season. Two wins saw Abt promoted into GP2 for 2013, although Abt failed to reach the podium.
A second season in GP2 would follow in 2014, although Abt's involvement in his father's upcoming Formula E entry would prove to be a major distraction. The German would ultimately move into the FE programme full time at the start of the 2014/15 Championship, leaving GP2 at the end of the season.
Formula E HistoryEdit
Abt was named as a driver for Audi Sport ABT's Formula E team, driving two Spark-Renault SRT_01Es for the team in the debut season for the championship. Two tenth place finishes at Beijing and Putrajaya, were followed by two drives outside the points. Abt later reversed this trend with a third place finish at the 2015 Miami ePrix, helping to keep Audi Sport ABT in the Team's Championship battle.
Yet, his form tumbled after the Miami podium, retiring in Monaco through being squeezed into the wall after the second corner and causing a huge crash. He would crash out again in the First London ePrix, before struggling to held team mate Lucas di Grassi's title bid in the season finale.
Retain alongside di Grassi for the 2015/16 season, Abt did his best to match his more experienced teammate, but would come out second best at the 2015 Donington Test. It would not a particularly positive opening round of the season either, as Abt missed out on points in Beijing as di Grassi racked up a podium. Fortunately for Abt, points would come at the three of the following four races, although the German was never a threat to the podium.
That, however, would change at the 2016 Long Beach ePrix, where Abt completed an excellent drive to claim a first podium of the season.  A disappointing tenth place would follow in Paris, before Abt put in the performance of his life at his home race in Berlin.
A race long duel with Sébastien Buemi saw Abt placed in second, just ahead of di Grassi in a late race safety car period which ended with two laps to go. Immediately, the German began harrasing the Swiss racer for the lead, but by the end of the lap it was clear he could not take the lead. The German began waving frantically at his teammate to come through, trying his best to aid di Grassi's title bid. Yet, the Brazilian would refuse to do so, either through sporting beliefs or under team instruction, and so Abt scored second at his home race, despite his best attempts to finish third.
Into the season finale and Abt would still work hard to help di Grassi, although the first race in London saw him retire after colliding with Robin Frijns halfway through. Ultimately, there was little the German could do to prevent Buemi from winning the title at the 2016 London ePrix II, although he did collect another second place to ensure that ABT Schaeffler Audi Sport finished in second place in the Teams' Championship.
The late season charge by Abt was enough to see him retained by ABT Schaeffler Audi Sport for 2016/17, where he would once again partner di Grassi. It seemed as if his newly found confidence had carried through into season three, as Abt bested di Grassi on ultimate pace at the 2016 Donington Test, even managing to break his teammate's circuit record before his best was beaten on day three.
However, Abt would not have a great start to the season when the racing started, retiring from the 2016 Hong Kong ePrix after an early collision. Abt would recover to claim a sixth place in Marrakech, before claiming three seventh place finishes in a row at the following rounds. A second non-score of the season would follow in Paris.
Abt managed to battle back in his two home ePrix in Berlin, claiming a season best finish of fourth in the second race of the season. A less than spectacular weekend in New York followed, the Abt's only point coming from setting the fastest lap. Abt then rounded out the season in Montreal by matching his Berlin performances, leaving him eighth in the standings.
The Audi ConnectionEditAudi Sport would take over the ABT Schaeffler entry from ABT at the start of the 2017/18 season, although their partnership would remain. Abt, despite being outclassed by di Grassi throughout the previous three seasons, was made a full-factory Audi driver, while also retaining his seat in Formula E. The German duly repaid their faith at the season opening race in Hong Kong, setting fastest lap en-route to fifth place having outpaced di Grassi throughout.
Abt's strong showing continued into the second race, with the German claiming his maiden FE victory, only to be retroactively disqualified due to an admin error by the Audi ABT team. A penalty in Marrakech for contact then cost Abt solid points, before the German retired with an inverter failure, the second time he had had that issue. Yet, Abt would bounce back brilliantly in Mexico City, finally clinching a victory in FE having dominated the second half of the race.
Unfortunately for Abt he would not hit the same heights in Punta del Este, the German once again suffering from the Audi's crippling reliability issues. Abt then dug out an excellent performance in Rome to finish fourth with fastest lap, before finishing seventh in Paris after trying an ambitious strategy. However, Abt's best performance was to come, with the German going on to dominate his home race in Berlin, claiming pole, fastest lap and victory ahead of teammate di Grassi, and was untroubled throughout.
Abt's remote hopes of a maiden FE title, however, would fade with a non-score in Zürich, leaving him too far off eventual Champion Jean-Éric Vergne. Yet, Abt and di Grassi still had a shot at claiming the Teams' Championship for Audi Sport ABT Schaeffler, with both qualifying well for the 2018 New York City E-Prix I. Indeed, Abt would wrestle the lead away from Sébastien Buemi early on, only to be stabbed in the back by his teammate di Grassi, whom pulled a very aggressive move on the German to claim victory.
Abt's attempts to retake the lead in the penultimate race were cut short by Audi through a team order, with Abt reluctantly accepting their decision. It did, however, ensure that Audi Sport ABT Schaeffler were in prime position to take the Teams' Championship, if they could outscore Techeetah in the season finale. Ultimately, second for di Grassi and third, with fastest lap, for Abt, whom also had to fend off Buemi, was enough for the German squad to claim their first Teams' title.
A Fifth Fortune?Edit
Full Formula E RecordEdit
Shown below are a series of tables outlining Daniel Abt's career in Formula E in statistical form.
Formula E EntriesEdit
The list below includes all of the teams and cars, as well as overall finishing positions for Daniel Abt during their FE career:
|Daniel Abt's Overall Formula E Record|
|2014/15||Audi Sport ABT||66||Spark-Renault SRT_01E||11th||32|
|2015/16||ABT Schaeffler Audi Sport||66||ABT Schaeffler FE01||7th||68|
|2016/17||ABT Schaeffler Audi Sport||66||ABT Schaeffler FE02||8th||67|
|2017/18||Audi Sport ABT Schaeffler||66||Audi e-tron FE04||5th||120|
|2018/19||Audi Sport ABT Schaeffler||66||Audi e-tron FE05|
Below is a table showing Daniel Abt's full Formula E record.
|FIA Formula E Championship Record|
Videos and Images:
- Speedpool, 'Abt Daniel 2012', wikipedia.org, (WikiMedia, 02/07/2015), http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daniel_Abt#mediaviewer/File:Abt_Daniel_2012.jpg, (Accessed 04/07/2015)
- 'Season 4 livery of Daniel Abt', twitter.com, (Twitter: Audi Formula E, 27/09/2017), https://twitter.com/audiformulae/status/913123587573391363, (Accessed 27/09/2017)
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3 1.4 1.5 1.6 'Drivers' Club: Daniel Abt', fiaformulae.com, (FIA Formula E, 2015), http://www.fiaformulae.com/en/drivers-club/daniel-abt.aspx, (Accessed 04/07/2015)
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 'Vergne victorious, Di Grassi wins title', fiaformulae.com, (FIA Formula E, 30/07/2017), http://www.fiaformulae.com/en/news/2017/july/vergne-victorious-di-grassi-wins-title/, (Accessed 30/07/2017)
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 3.2 'Audi unveils e-tron FE04', fiaformulae.com, (FIA Formula E, 27/09/2017), http://www.fiaformulae.com/en/news/2017/september/audi-unveils-e-tron-fe04/, (Accessed 27/09/2017)
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 'Abt leads Audi one-two win at home race in Berlin', fiaformulae.com, (FIA Formula E, 19/05/2018), http://www.fiaformulae.com/en/news/2018/may/abt-leads-audi-one-two-win-at-home-race-in-berlin/, (Accessed 19/05/2018)
- ↑ 'Prost powers to first Formula E win', fiaformulae.com, (FIA Formula E, 14/03/2015) http://www.fiaformulae.com/en/news/2015/march/prost-powers-to-first-formula-e-win.aspx, (Accessed 30/04/2015)
- ↑ 'Poleman Buemi doubles up', fiaformulae.com, (FIA Formula E, 09/05/2015), http://www.fiaformulae.com/en/news/2015/may/poleman-buemi-doubles-up.aspx, (Accessed 09/05/2015)
- ↑ 'Bird hails ‘unbelievable’ end to season', fiaformulae.com, (FIA Formula E, 28/06/2015), http://fiaformulae.com/en/news/2015/june/bird-hails-unbelievable-end-to-season.aspx, (Accessed 30/06/2015)
- ↑ 'Daniel Abt extends deal with Audi Sport ABT', fiaformulae.com, (FIA Formula E, 21/05/2015), http://www.fiaformulae.com/en/news/2015/may/daniel-abt-extends-deal-with-audi-sport-abt.aspx, (Accessed 23/05/2015)
- ↑ 'Buemi to the max in Beijing', fiaformulae.com, (FIA Formula E, 24/10/2015),http://fiaformulae.com/en/news/2015/october/buemi-wins-swusp-beijing-eprix.aspx, (Accessed 25/10/2015)
- ↑ 'Di Grassi's Shoreline sensation', fiaformulae.com, (FIA Formula E, 02/04/2016), http://fiaformulae.com/en/news/2016/april/di-grassi-s-shoreline-sensation/, (Accessed 03/04/2016)
- ↑ 11.0 11.1 11.2 11.3 11.4 'Buemi win cuts di Grassi's lead to just one point', fiaformula.com, (FIA Formula E, 21/05/2016), http://fiaformulae.com/en/news/2016/may/buemi-win-cuts-di-grassi-s-lead-to-just-one-point/, (Accessed 21/05/2016)
- ↑ 'BUEMI AND DI GRASSI CHARGE UP THE ORDER, BUT IT’S PROST WHO LEADS THE WAY', fiaformulae.com, (FIA Formula E, 02/07/2016), http://fiaformulae.com/en/news/2016/july/prost-wins-in-style-as-di-grassi-inches-closer-to-title/, (Accessed 03/07/2016)
- ↑ 'BUEMI WINS TITLE AFTER SPECTACULAR FINALE: VISA FASTEST LAP ENDS UP DECIDING THE 2015/16 FIA FORMULA E CHAMPIONSHIP', fiaformulae.com, (FIA Formula E, 03/07/2016), http://fiaformulae.com/en/news/2016/july/buemi-wins-title-after-spectacular-finale/, (Accessed 04/07/2016)
- ↑ 'ABT retains drivers for season three', fiaformulae.com, (FIA Formula E, 20/05/2016), http://fiaformulae.com/en/news/2016/may/abt-retains-drivers-for-season-three/, (Accessed 20/05/2016)
- ↑ 'Buemi holds on in Hong Kong', fiaformulae.com, (FIA Formula E, 09/10/2016), http://www.fiaformulae.com/en/news/2016/october/buemi-holds-on-in-hong-kong/, (Accessed 09/10/2016)
- ↑ 'Buemi hands Renault e.dams emotional Paris win', fiaformulae.com, (FIA Formula E, 20/05/2017), http://www.fiaformulae.com/en/news/2017/may/buemi-hands-renault-edams-emotional-paris-win/, (Accessed 21/05/2017)
- ↑ 'Buemi gifted win by Mahindra pitstop confusion', fiaformulae.com, (FIA Formula E, 11/06/2017), http://www.fiaformulae.com/en/news/2017/june/buemi-gifted-win-by-mahindra-pitstop-confusion/, (Accessed 17/06/2017)
- ↑ 'Bird flies high with New York double', fiaformulae.com, (FIA Formula E, 16/07/2017), http://www.fiaformulae.com/en/news/2017/july/bird-flies-high-with-new-york-double/, (Accessed 17/07/2017)
- ↑ 'Bird clinches victory in Hong Kong', fiaformulae.com, (FIA Formula E, 02/12/2017), http://www.fiaformulae.com/en/news/2017/december/bird-clinches-victory-in-hong-kong/, (Accessed 16/12/2017)
- ↑ Scott Mitchell, 'Abt stripped of maiden Formula E win', motorsport.com, (Motorsport Network, 03/12/2017), https://www.motorsport.com/formula-e/news/abt-stripped-maiden-fe-win-hong-kong-985435/, (Accessed 03/12/2017)
- ↑ 'Vergne steals the show in epic Santiago E-Prix', fiaformulae.com, (FIA Formula E, 03/02/2018), http://www.fiaformulae.com/en/news/2018/february/vergne-steals-the-show-in-epic-santiago-e-prix/, (Accessed 03/02/2018)
- ↑ 'Abt finally clinches first victory in Mexico City', fiaformulae.com, (FIA Formula E, 03/03/2018), http://www.fiaformulae.com/en/news/2018/march/abt-finally-clinches-first-victory-in-mexico-city/, (Accessed 04/03/2018)
- ↑ 'JEV holds off di Grassi in battle for Punta del Este', fiaformulae.com, (FIA Formula E, 17/03/2018), http://www.fiaformulae.com/en/news/2018/march/jev-holds-off-di-grassi-in-battle-for-punta-del-este/, (Accessed 17/03/2018)
- ↑ 'Bird claims historic victory in Rome', fiaformulae.com, (FIA Formula E, 14/04/2018), http://www.fiaformulae.com/en/news/2018/april/bird-claims-historic-victory-in-rome/, (Accessed 14/04/2018)
- ↑ Cite error: Invalid
<ref>tag; no text was provided for refs named
- ↑ 26.0 26.1 26.2 'Di Grassi victorious as Vergne clinches championship crown', fiaformulae.com, (FIA Formula E, 14/07/2018), http://www.fiaformulae.com/en/news/2018/july/di-grassi-victorious-as-vergne-clinches-championship-crown/, (Accessed 15/07/2018)
- ↑ 27.0 27.1 'Champion Vergne victorious as Audi scoops the teams' title in New York finale', fiaformulae.com, (FIA Formula E, 15/07/2018), http://www.fiaformulae.com/en/news/2018/july/champion-vergne-victorious-as-audi-scoops-the-teams-title-in-new-york-finale/, (Accessed 16/07/2018)
- ↑ 28.0 28.1 'Daniel Abt confirmes drive with Audi in Season 5', fiaformulae.com, (FIA Formula E, 09/06/2018), http://www.fiaformulae.com/en/news/2018/june/daniel-abt-confirmes-drive-with-audi-in-season-5/, (Accessed 09/06/2018)