|António Félix da Costa|
|Date of Birth||31st August 1991|
|Date of Death||Unknown|
|Début||2014 Putrajaya ePrix|
|First Win||2015 Buenos Aires ePrix|
|Former Teams||Team Aguri|
|Formula E Career|
|Total Entries||36 (35 Starts)|
|Team||MS&AD Andretti Formula E|
António Félix da Costa (born 31st August 1991) is a competitor in the 2017/18 FIA Formula E Championship, set to drive on behalf of MS&AD Andretti Formula E. A former FE race winner, da Costa has previously attempted to competed in Formula E alongside his DTM commitments for BMW, with his duties in the latter causing him to miss races in the former.
From 2016/17, da Costa decided to focus entirely on Formula E, although it was a decision that backfired as the Portuguese racer only claimed one points finish all season. Regardless, da Costa's BMW connections ensured that he was retained for the 2017/18 season by Andretti, leading the team for a second consecutive season.
Da Costa's career began in go-karts in the year 2000, becoming renowned in the sport for taking second in the World Series Karting Championship by 2006. In 2008, da Costa was promoted to single seat racing, competing in Formula Renault, winning the series a year later. He was rewarded with a test drive for Force India in Formula One, putting the car third on the time sheets in the young driver test of 2010.
2012 saw da Costa take the Macau GP, a renowned Formula Three race around the streets of Macau. He was spotted by Red Bull Racing , who signed da Costa to their young driver development programme, and named him as a test driver for the 2013 (and later 2014) Formula One season. After winning the GP3 championship in 2013, da Costa entered the DTM Championship in 2014, while also competing in Formula E.
Formula E HistoryEdit
Amlin Aguri decided to offer da Costa one of their two seats, opting to partner the Portuguese racer with Katherine Legge. Da Costa would, however, miss the first ePrix of 2014 due to his DTM commitments, meaning Takuma Sato took his place in the team. Yet, he would return for the 2014 Putrajaya ePrix, before taking his, and Amlin Aguri's, first Formula E victory at the 2015 Buenos Aires ePrix, surviving a chaotic race for the honours.
da Costa became a consistent point scorer after that race, but was unable to return to the podium due to his notoriously poor qualifying record, while also receiving a new teammate in the form of Salvador Duran. With an average qualifying position outside of the top 15, da Costa's average race position of seventh demonstrated his ability in the Spark-Renault SRT_01E. After taking seventh in the 2015 Moscow ePrix, da Costa missed the season finale in London due to his DTM career, meaning Sakon Yamamoto took his seat.
Best of the RestEdit
Due to budget constraints, newly renamed Team Aguri were forced to equip da Costa and new teammate Nathanaël Berthon with year old cars. After a decent performance in the 2015 Donington Test, the Portuguese racer found himself almost instantly on the back foot, retiring from the season opening 2015 Beijing ePrix as Berthon claimed eighth. Yet, da Costa's race winning resolve would re-emerge at the following two rounds, as he battled away with Frijns for a podium in Putrajaya.
Berthon left the team before the turn of the year, allowing Duran to slot into the seat alongside da Costa. Unfortunately, the change in teammate coincided with a down turn in form, with the Portuguese racer failing to score in the next three races, with two retirements down to driver error. An eighth place in the 2016 Paris ePrix followed before da Costa missed the 2016 Berlin ePrix with René Rast replacing him. da Costa would return for the season ending double header in London, with the Portuguese racer only managing to match his season best result of sixth in one of the two races.
With Team Aguri getting bought out by a Chinese media company, da Costa found himself without a drive for 2016/17 as the new Techeetah team announced their lineup as early as possible. Fortunately for the Portuguese racer, a seat became available at MS Amlin Andretti, who had dropped Simona de Silvestro at the end of the season, with a deal signed in the weeks before the 2016 Donington Test. It would be a productive test for the Portuguese racer, as he completed a lot of mileage in the new Andretti ATEC-02, while being on a par with new teammate Robin Frijns in terms of outright pace.
The season opening race would ultimately prove to be the highlight for da Costa in 2016/17, as he and Frijns fought all race long in Hong Kong for fifth. Unfortunately for them, the ATEC-02 proved to be a difficult car to get pace out of over a single lap, and so da Costa and Frijns would have to start outside of the top ten in almost every ePrix from that point forward. Things would further run against da Costa in several race, the Portuguese racer retiring from the Marrakech, Mexico City and Paris ePrix through either mechanical strife or accident damage.
Frijns would soon overhaul da Costa in the Championship standings, the Dutchman getting the better luck both technically and physically in several races. Other than his fifth place in Hong Kong, da Costa's best performances came in Buenos Aires, Monte Carolo and Berlin, having fought for points throughout each race, only to finish eleventh in every one. Come seasons end, da Costa had just ten points to his name, less than half that of his teammate.
Fortunately for da Costa, the holders of his contract with Andretti, BMW decided to make the step into Formula E in 2018/19, and began to take over Andertti ahead of the 2017/18 season. da Costa was therefore picked to lead the team into the new season, taking part in the 2017 Valencia Test as a benchmark for two other BMW contracted drivers: Tom Blomqvist and Alexander Sims. It would ultimately prove to be da Costa who emerged as the fastest Andretti ace, although both himself and his testing teammates found themselves in the lower half of the timesheets.
Full Formula E RecordEdit
Shown below are a series of tables outlining António Félix da Costa's career in Formula E in statistical form.
Formula E EntriesEdit
The list below includes all of the teams and cars, as well as overall finishing positions for António Félix da Costa during their FE career:
|António Félix da Costa's Overall Formula E Record|
|2014/15||Amlin Aguri||55||Spark-Renault SRT_01E||8th||51|
|2015/16||Team Aguri||55||Spark-Renault SRT_01E||13th||28|
|2016/17||MS Amlin Andretti||28||Andretti ATEC-02||20th||10|
|2017/18||MS&AD Andretti Formula E||28||Andretti ATEC-04|
Below is a table showing António Félix da Costa's full Formula E record.
|FIA Formula E Championship Record|
Videos and Images:
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3 1.4 1.5 1.6 1.7 'Driver's club: Antonio Felix da Costa', fiaformulae.com, (FIA Formula E, 2014), http://www.fiaformulae.com/en/drivers-club/antonio-felix-da-costa.aspx, (Accessed 03/05/2015)
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 'ANTONIO FELIX DA COSTA TO JOIN ANDRETTI FORMULA E: FORMULA E RACE WINNER TO DRIVE ALONGSIDE ROBIN FRIJNS AT ANDRETTI', fiaformulae.com, (FIA Formula E, 10/08/2016), http://fiaformulae.com/en/news/2016/august/antonio-felix-da-costa-to-join-andretti-formula-e, (Accessed 10/08/2016)
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 Horatiu Boeriu, 'BMW works driver António Félix da Costa to compete in Formula E in Season 4', bmwblog.com, (BMW A.G., 02/10/2017), http://www.bmwblog.com/2017/10/02/bmw-works-driver-antonio-felix-da-costa-compete-formula-e-season-4/, (Accessed 02/10/2017)
- ↑ 'Antonio Felix da Costa joins Amlin Aguri', fiaformulae.com, (FIA Formula E, 02/07/2014), http://www.fiaformulae.com/en/news/2014/july/antonio-felix-da-costa-joins-amlin-aguri.aspx, (Accessed 30/04/2015)
- ↑ 'Antonio Felix da Costa wins chaotic Buenos Aires ePrix', fiaformulae.com, (FIA Formula E, 13/01/2015), http://www.fiaformulae.com/en/news/2015/january/antonio-felix-da-costa-wins-chaotic-buenos-aires-eprix.aspx, (Accessed 03/05/2015)
- ↑ 'Amlin Aguri picks Yamamoto for London', fiaformulae.com, (FIA Formula E, 15/06/2015), http://fiaformulae.com/en/news/2015/june/amlin-aguri-picks-yamamoto-for-london.aspx, (Accessed 15/06/2015)
- ↑ 'Team Aguri confirms Da Costa to race in season two', fiaformulae.com, (FIA Formula E, 09/10/2015), http://fiaformulae.com/en/news/2015/october/team-aguri-confirms-antonio-felix-da-costa-for-season-two.aspx, (Accessed 09/10/2015)
- ↑ 'Buemi to the max in Beijing', fiaformulae.com, (FIA Formula E, 24/10/2015),http://fiaformulae.com/en/news/2015/october/buemi-wins-swusp-beijing-eprix.aspx, (Accessed 25/10/2015)
- ↑ 'Di Grassi keeps his cool to win in Putrajaya', fiaformulae.com, (FIA Formula E, 07/11/2015), http://fiaformulae.com/en/news/2015/november/di-grassi-keeps-his-cool-to-win-in-putrajaya.aspx, (Accessed 22/11/2015)
- ↑ 'Salvador Duran joins Team Aguri', fiaformulae.com, (FIA Formula E, 28/01/2016), http://fiaformulae.com/en/news/2016/january/salvador-duran-joins-team-aguri.aspx, (Accessed 28/01/2016)
- ↑ 'Di Grassi's Shoreline sensation', fiaformulae.com, (FIA Formula E, 02/04/2016), http://fiaformulae.com/en/news/2016/april/di-grassi-s-shoreline-sensation/, (Accessed 03/04/2016)
- ↑ 'Rast replaces da Costa at Team Aguri', fiaformulae.com, (FIA Formula E, 18/05/2016), http://fiaformulae.com/en/news/2016/may/rast-replaces-da-costa-at-team-aguri/, (Accessed 20/05/2016)
- ↑ 'BUEMI AND DI GRASSI CHARGE UP THE ORDER, BUT IT’S PROST WHO LEADS THE WAY', fiaformulae.com, (FIA Formula E, 02/07/2016), http://fiaformulae.com/en/news/2016/july/prost-wins-in-style-as-di-grassi-inches-closer-to-title/, (Accessed 03/07/2016)
- ↑ 'Buemi holds on in Hong Kong', fiaformulae.com, (FIA Formula E, 09/10/2016), http://www.fiaformulae.com/en/news/2016/october/buemi-holds-on-in-hong-kong/, (Accessed 09/10/2016)
- ↑ 'Buemi hands Renault e.dams emotional Paris win', fiaformulae.com, (FIA Formula E, 20/05/2017), http://www.fiaformulae.com/en/news/2017/may/buemi-hands-renault-edams-emotional-paris-win/, (Accessed 21/05/2017)
- ↑ Cite error: Invalid
<ref>tag; no text was provided for refs named
- ↑ 'Nine manufacturers homologated for Season 5', fiaformulae.com, (FIA Formula E, 21/03/2017), http://www.fiaformulae.com/en/news/2017/march/nine-season-5-powertrain-manufacturers-homologated/, (Accessed 22/03/2017)
- ↑ 'Turvey finishes pre-season testing on top', fiaformulae.com, (FIA Formula E, 05/10/2017), http://www.fiaformulae.com/en/news/2017/october/turvey-finishes-pre-season-testing-on-top/, (Accessed 05/10/2017)
|The DTM Wiki has information on António Félix da Costa! Click here to find out more.|