|2016/17 Formula E Season|
Lucas di Grassi finally took the title.
|First Round||Hong Kong|
|Entrants||ABT Schaeffler, Andretti, DS Virgin, Jaguar, Mahindra, NEXTEV, Penske, Renault, Spark, Venturi|
|Champion||Lucas di Grassi 181Pt(s)|
|2 Win(s), 3 Pole(s) 0 Fastest Lap(s)|
|Second||Sébastien Buemi 157 Pt(s)|
|6 Win(s), 2 Pole(s) 1 Fastest Lap(s)|
|Third||Felix Rosenqvist 127 Pt(s)|
|1 Win(s), 3 Pole(s), 2 Fastest Lap(s)|
|Champion||Renault e.Dams 268 Pt(s)|
|6 Win(s), 2 Pole(s) 2 Fastest Lap(s)|
|Second||ABT Schaeffler Audi Sport 248 Pt(s)|
|2 Win(s), 3 Pole(s) 1 Fastest Lap(s)|
|Third||Mahindra Racing 215 Pt(s)|
|1 Win(s), 3 Pole(s) 2 Fastest Lap(s)|
The third season of Formula E also saw the addition of two new teams to the Championship, as Team Aguri are replaced by Techeetah a Chinese based outfit who agreed a deal to use the Renault powertrain. The other new contender will be Jaguar, a British based car manufacturer who will also build their own powertrain for their maiden voyage into Formula E. The other change will be for Dragon Racing, whose partnership with Penske sees them enter as a manufacturer for the first time.
Coming into the third season, Sébastien Buemi and Renault e.Dams was the defending Champions, having both secured the honours at the season finale of the 2015/16 season. It would be a perfect start to the season for the defending Champions, with Buemi sweeping to victory in the season opening Hong Kong ePrix. The Swiss racer would go on to dominate the early season, claiming additional wins in Marrakech and Buenos Aires.
Buemi's run was finally halted in Mexico City, where Lucas di Grassi swept to victory with an ambitious pit strategy. Buemi, however, would bounce back with victories in Monte Carlo and Paris, leaving him with 43 point lead over di Grassi.
The first Berlin ePrix would prove to be the turning point for the Championship, as Buemi was disqualified from the results. Felix Rosenqvist won the race, and despite the fact that Buemi would win the second race of the weekend, his title bid was derailed.
Buemi would miss the two New York ePrix in mid-July, opening the door for di Grassi to close the points gap. The Brazilian managed to cut the gap to just ten points, although it was Sam Bird who claimed victory in both races. Buemi would return for the season ending double header in Montreal, only to be disqualified as di Grassi won the race.
It was di Grassi's title to lose in the season ending race, and as Buemi failed to score, di Grassi was duly crowned as Champion. Renault e.Dams just fended off ABT Schaeffler Audi Sport for the teams' title, while Jean-Éric Vergne finally recorded a victory in the final race of the season.
The 2016/17 Calendar has not yet been confirmed, although a provisional calendar was released on the 1st of July as part of the build up to the 2015/16 season finale in London. The provisional calendar had two blank spaces, and saw the London, Beijing, Punta del Este and Putrajaya ePrix all dropped in favour of new venues, although London was forced off the calendar after an appeal by the local council. Moscow was also dropped from the provisional list, and is not expected to return after the 2016 race was cancelled late in the 2015/16 season.
In place of these rounds would be five new venues, combining for a fourteen race calendar according to the provisional list. Opening the season would be a visit to Hong Kong for the first time, before the season makes a maiden visit to Marrakech, the first Formula E race to be held in Africa. Buenos Aires and Mexico City return for rounds four and five, before a blank space is scheduled for the 22nd of April. Monaco then returns for the first time since 2015, with returns to Paris and Berlin before a second blank space for the 24th of June 2017.
After a visit to the European capital Brussels, Formula E will then return to North America for the season finale for two double headers to complete the season. The first double will be staged in Montreal, Canada, for what will be the most northerly ePrix in Formula E's short history, before the season finale is staged in New York. Testing was conducted at Donington Park during pre-season as usual, while an in-season test is yet to be confirmed.
After the World Motor Sport Council meeting in September 2016, a revised calendar was released, dropping the two TBA rounds while also swapping the Montreal and New York rounds meaning the latter would end the season. Additional revisions were made during the build up to the 2017 Buenos Aires ePrix, with confirmation that the Berlin ePrix will be staged at the Tempelhof Airport, a return to the race's original venue. The Berlin ePrix would later become a double header once negotiations over the Brussels ePrix fell through.
The full 2016/17 calendar is shown below:
- * All dates and venues according to the provisional calendar released on the 1st of July 2016 and subject to FIA approval.
Season three sees the development of the Formula E cars once again increased, although at a slower rate than initially announced due to the addition of new outfit Jaguar. There would, in contrast, be no modification to the points scoring system ahead of the third edition of the Championship.
The initial power increase was expected to see the maximum race power available increased to 250 kW, but after research into the cost of development, this was instead made an ultimate target for the 2019/20 season. That said, the maximum power for qualifying would go up to 250 kW, with the weight specified for the batteries increased to 230kg. Despite the 30kg increase in battery weight, the overall weight is to be dropped to 880kg, a decrease from the original 888kg. Spark will continue as the sole chassis supplier for the Championship, with more restrictions placed on teams regarding suspension, bodywork and brake modifications.
At the September 2016 World Motor Sport Council meeting it would also be agreed to modify the rules surrounding excessive power use, which had previously been punished by a time penalty post race. From the 2016/17 season a driver would be required to reduce their power to 0kW within five seconds of the infringement, effectively serving a time penalty in real time, while also activating their rain and "ready-to-move" lights to warn other drivers. The driver must also be able to restart both of their cars at the end of the race without the cars being charged, otherwise they would face a penalty or disqualification.
The points system for finishing position is expected to remain as it has been since the 2014/15 Season, with points awarded from 1st to 10th using the FIA's standard points system. Additional points are also awarded to the pole setter and the fastest lap setter at each ePrix, although the points awarded for fastest lap have been reduced to one.
|2016/17 FIA Formula E Championship Points Table|
|Pole Position||Fastest Lap|
Each driver will be allocated ten tyres at each race meeting (for both of their cars) which must last for the entire race meeting. The inclusion of dropped scores are yet to be confirmed, having been removed during the 2015/16 season when the calendar was shortened.
Pre-season testing would see each manufacturer allowed to complete up to fifteen days worth of running before a six day public test at Formula E's head quarters at Donington Park. The 2016 Donington Test would see some very impressive times laid down throughout, and saw the new Michelin tyres tested in both dry and wet conditions. Ultimately, it would be the Renault backed efforts of Renault e.Dams and Techeetah who topped the times, although there would only be a couple of seconds covering the field in terms of outright pace on a circuit almost twice the length of a standard ePrix venue.
Race One: Hong Kong ePrix (9th October 2016)Edit
Race Two: Marrakech ePrix (12th November 2016)Edit
Race Three: Buenos Aires ePrix (18th February 2017)Edit
Race Four: Mexico City ePrix (1st April 2017)Edit
Race Five: Monte Carlo ePrix (13th May 2017)Edit
For the full qualifying report, head to the 2017 Monaco ePrix page.
For the full race report, head to the 2017 Monaco ePrix page.
Race Six: Paris ePrix (20th May 2017)Edit
Race Seven: Berlin ePrix I (10th June 2017)Edit
Race Eight: Berlin ePrix II (11th June 2017)Edit
The Berlin race will return for 2016/17 too, with the Tempelhof Airport circuit returning with a revised layout after missing out in 2016. The second race in Berlin effectively replaced the proposed Brussels ePrix.
Race Nine: New York ePrix I (15th July 2017)Edit
Race Ten: New York ePrix II (16th July 2017)Edit
Race Eleven: Montreal ePrix I (29th July 2017)Edit
Race Twelve: Montreal ePrix II (30th July 2017)Edit
Like 2015/16, the 2016/17 entry list was to feature ten entrants, each fielding four cars for two drivers at every race. Of these ten, nine would be supported by manufacturers, with the addition of Penske and Jaguar to the Championship. The driver line ups for each team were confirmed at the end of pre-season testing at Donington Park, with Jaguar the last of those to confirm their drivers.
The full 2016/17 FIA Formula E Championship entry list is outlined below:
The full 2016/17 FIA Formula E Championship for Drivers' standings are outlined below:
|2016/17 FIA Formula E Championship for Drivers' Standings|
The full 2016/17 FIA Formula E Championship for Drivers' standings are to be outlined below:
|2016/17 FIA Formula E Championship Teams' Standings|
|2nd||ABT Schaeffler||di Grassi||2nd||5th||3rd||1st||2nd||Ret||2nd||3rd||4th||5th||1st||7th||248|
|4th||DS Virgin Racing||Bird||13th||2nd||Ret||3rd||Ret||16th||7th||7th||1st||1st||5th||4th||190|
|6th||NextEV NIO||Piquet Jr.||11th||16th||5th||9th||4th||7th||13th||12th||11th||16th||13th||16th||59|
|7th||MS Amlin Andretti||Frijns||6th||11th||14th||11th||12th||6th||18th||18th||9th||9th||8th||13th||34|
Videos and Images:
- ↑ 1.00 1.01 1.02 1.03 1.04 1.05 1.06 1.07 1.08 1.09 1.10 1.11 1.12 1.13 1.14 1.15 1.16 1.17 1.18 1.19 1.20 1.21 1.22 1.23 'From Hong Kong to New York: FIVE NEW CITIES FOR THIRD FORMULA E SEASON', fiaformulae.com, (FIA Formula E, 02/07/2016), http://fiaformulae.com/en/news/2016/july/from-hong-kong-to-new-york/, (Accessed 02/07/2016)
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 'SECA SECURE FIA FORMULA E CHAMPIONSHIP ENTRY: JEAN-ERIC VERGNE AND MA QING HUA CONFIRMED AS DRIVERS', fiaformulae.com, (FIA Formula E, 07/07/2016), http://fiaformulae.com/en/news/2016/july/seca-secure-fia-formula-e-championship-entry/, (Accessed 08/07/2016)
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 3.2 'Jaguar returns to global motor sport', fiaformulae.com, (FIA Formula E, 15/12/2015), http://fiaformulae.com/en/news/2015/december/jaguar-returns-to-racing.aspx, (Accessed 15/12/2015)
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 'ALEJANDRO AGAG WELCOMES VISIONARY TECH FIRM TO FORMULA E: FARADAY FUTURE AND DRAGON RACING ANNOUNCE LONG-TERM PARTNERSHIP', fiaformulae.com, (FIA Formula E, 01/07/2016), http://fiaformulae.com/en/news/2016/july/alejandro-agag-welcomes-visionary-tech-firm-to-formula-e/, (Accessed 08/07/2016)
- ↑ 'Buemi holds on in Hong Kong', fiaformulae.com, (FIA Formula E, 09/10/2016), http://www.fiaformulae.com/en/news/2016/october/buemi-holds-on-in-hong-kong/, (Accessed 09/10/2016)
- ↑ 'Buemi becomes hat-trick hero in Buenos Aires', fiaformulae.com, (FIA Formula E, 18/02/2017), http://www.fiaformulae.com/en/news/2017/february/buemi-becomes-hat-trick-hero-in-buenos-aires/, (Accessed 19/02/2017)
- ↑ 'Di Grassi produces masterpiece in Mexico', fiaformulae.com, (FIA Formula E, 01/04/2017), http://www.fiaformulae.com/en/news/2017/april/di-grassi-produces-masterpiece-in-mexico/, (Accessed 02/04/2017)
- ↑ 'Buemi hands Renault e.dams emotional Paris win', fiaformulae.com, (FIA Formula E, 20/05/2017), http://www.fiaformulae.com/en/news/2017/may/buemi-hands-renault-edams-emotional-paris-win/, (Accessed 21/05/2017)
- ↑ 'Red hot Rosenqvist hands Mahindra first win', fiaformulae.com, (FIA Formula E, 10/06/2017), http://www.fiaformulae.com/en/news/2017/june/red-hot-rosenqvist-hands-mahindra-first-win/, (Accessed 16/06/2017)
- ↑ 'Buemi gifted win by Mahindra pitstop confusion', fiaformulae.com, (FIA Formula E, 11/06/2017), http://www.fiaformulae.com/en/news/2017/june/buemi-gifted-win-by-mahindra-pitstop-confusion/, (Accessed 17/06/2017)
- ↑ 'Bird flies high with New York double', fiaformulae.com, (FIA Formula E, 16/07/2017), http://www.fiaformulae.com/en/news/2017/july/bird-flies-high-with-new-york-double/, (Accessed 17/07/2017)
- ↑ 'Di Grassi wins, Buemi disqualified', fiaformuale.com, (FIA Formula E, 29/07/2017), http://www.fiaformulae.com/en/news/2017/july/di-grassi-wins-buemi-disqualified/, (Accessed 30/07/2017)
- ↑ 13.0 13.1 'Vergne victorious, Di Grassi wins title', fiaformulae.com, (FIA Formula E, 30/07/2017), http://www.fiaformulae.com/en/news/2017/july/vergne-victorious-di-grassi-wins-title/, (Accessed 30/07/2017)
- ↑ 'FORMULA E GETS GREEN LIGHT FOR VISA LONDON EPRIX IN BATTERSEA', fiaformulae.com, (FIA Formula E, 24/05/2016), http://fiaformulae.com/en/news/2016/may/formula-e-gets-green-light-for-visa-london-eprix-in-battersea/, (Accessed 02/07/2016)
- ↑ 'Formula E will not race in Moscow on June 4', fiaformulae.com, (FIA Formula E, 06/05/2016), http://fiaformulae.com/en/news/2016/may/formula-e-will-not-race-in-moscow-on-june-4/, (Accessed 07/05/2016)
- ↑ 16.00 16.01 16.02 16.03 16.04 16.05 16.06 16.07 16.08 16.09 16.10 16.11 'FIA RELEASES REVISED SEASON THREE CALENDAR: DATE SWAP FOR NEW YORK CITY AND MONTREAL', fiaformulae.com, (FIA Formula E, 28/09/2016), http://fiaformulae.com/en/news/2016/september/fia-releases-revised-season-three-formula-e-calendar/, (Accessed 28/09/2016)
- ↑ 'Berlin ePrix reverts to Tempelhof Airport', fiaformulae.com, (FIA Formula E, 10/02/2017), http://www.fiaformulae.com/en/news/2017/february/berlin-eprix-reverts-to-tempelhof-airport/, (Accessed 10/02/2017)
- ↑ 18.0 18.1 18.2 'All-new track as Berlin double header replaces Brussels ePrix', fiaformulae.com, (FIA Formula E, 10/03/2017), http://www.fiaformulae.com/en/news/2017/march/all-new-track-as-berlin-double-header-replaces-brussels-eprix/, (Accessed 10/03/2017)
- ↑ 19.0 19.1 Scott Mitchell, 'Formula E's summer 2016 Donington Park testing plan revealed', autosport.com, (HayMarket Media, 03/06/2016), http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/124621, (Accessed 08/07/2016)
- ↑ 20.0 20.1 'Future power increase plans revealed', fiaformulae.com, (FIA Formula E, 08/01/2016), http://fiaformulae.com/en/news/2016/january/future-power-increase-plans-revealed.aspx, (Accessed 12/01/2016)
- ↑ 21.0 21.1 21.2 '2016 FIA Formula E Championship Technical Regulations', current-e.com, (Current-e, 2016), http://current-e.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/FIA-Formula-E-2016-technical-regulations.pdf, (Accessed 08/07/2016)
- ↑ 22.0 22.1 22.2 'Formula E Guide: Rules & Regulations', fiaformulae.com, (FIA Formula E, 2015), http://www.fiaformulae.com/en/guide/rules-and-regs.aspx, (Accessed 30/04/2015)
- ↑ 'BUEMI ENDS FINAL TEST ON TOP: RENAULT E.DAMS LEADS THE WAY AS TEAM COMPLETE THE FINAL TEST BEFORE HONG KONG', fiaformulae.com, (FIA Formula E, 07/09/2016), http://fiaformulae.com/en/news/2016/september/buemi-ends-final-test-on-top/, (Accessed 07/09/2016)
- ↑ 24.0 24.1 24.2 24.3 24.4 24.5 24.6 24.7 24.8 'TEN TEAMS ENTERED FOR THE 2016-17 FIA FORMULA E CHAMPIONSHIP', fiaformulae.com, (FIA Formula E, 01/07/2016), http://fiaformulae.com/en/news/2016/july/ten-teams-entered-for-the-2016-17-fia-formula-e-championship/, (Accessed 08/07/2016)
- ↑ 25.0 25.1 'ABT retains drivers for season three', fiaformulae.com, (FIA Formula E, 20/05/2016), http://fiaformulae.com/en/news/2016/may/abt-retains-drivers-for-season-three/, (Accessed 20/05/2016)
- ↑ 26.0 26.1 DS VIRGIN RACING CONFIRM NEW LINE UP FOR 2016/17 FORMULA E SEASON: JOSE MARIA LOPEZ TO PARTNER BRITISH DRIVER SAM BIRD', fiaformulae.com, (FIA Formula E, 07/07/2016), http://fiaformulae.com/en/news/2016/july/ds-virgin-racing-confirm-new-line-up-for-201617-fia-formula-e-season/, (Accessed 08/07/2016)
- ↑ 'Alex Lynn gets DS Virgin call-up for New York', fiaformulae.com, (FIA Formula E, 28/06/2017), http://www.fiaformulae.com/en/news/2017/june/alex-lynn-gets-ds-virgin-call-up-for-new-york/, (Accessed 28/06/2017)
- ↑ 28.0 28.1 Scott Douglas, 'DRAGON KEEP D’AMBROSIO AND DUVAL FOR SEASON THREE: Dragon Racing will field an unchanged line-up for season three of Formula E', thecheckeredflag.co.uk, (The Checkered Flag, 03/07/2016), https://www.thecheckeredflag.co.uk/2016/07/dragon-keep-dambrosio-duval-season-three/, (Accessed 08/07/2016)
- ↑ 'Conway to replace Duval for Paris ePrix', fiaformulae.com, (FIA Formula E, 18/04/2017), http://www.fiaformulae.com/en/news/2017/april/conway-to-replace-duval-for-paris-eprix/, (Accessed 18/04/2017)
- ↑ 30.0 30.1 'ROSENQVIST AND HEIDFELD CONFIRMED AT MAHINDRA: SWEDISH DRIVER FELIX ROSENQVIST JOINS NICK HEIDFELD AT MAHINDRA RACING FOR 2016/17 SEASON', fiaformulae.com, (FIA Formula E, 22/08/2016), http://fiaformulae.com/en/news/2016/august/rosenqvist-and-heidfeld-confirmed-at-mahindra/, (Accessed 22/08/2016)
- ↑ 'ANDRETTI COMPLETES TRACK TESTING WITH NEW POWERTRAIN: ATEC-02 TO DEBUT IN 2016/17 SEASON', fiaformulae.com, (FIA Formula E, 15/06/2016), http://fiaformulae.com/en/news/2016/june/andretti-completes-track-testing-with-new-powertrain/, (Accessed 08/07/2016)
- ↑ 'ANDRETTI RE-SIGNS FRIJNS FOR SEASON THREE: DUTCH ACE GETS CONTRACT EXTENSION WITH ANDRETTI', fiaformulae.com, (FIA Formula E, 01/07/2016), http://fiaformulae.com/en/news/2016/july/andretti-re-signs-frijns-for-season-three/, (Accessed 08/07/2016)
- ↑ 'ANTONIO FELIX DA COSTA TO JOIN ANDRETTI FORMULA E: FORMULA E RACE WINNER TO DRIVE ALONGSIDE ROBIN FRIJNS AT ANDRETTI', fiaformulae.com, (FIA Formula E, 10/08/2016), http://fiaformulae.com/en/news/2016/august/antonio-felix-da-costa-to-join-andretti-formula-e, (Accessed 10/08/2016)
- ↑ 'NextEV RETAIN NELSON PIQUET JR AND OLIVER TURVEY: NEXTEV REVEAL DRIVER LINE-UP AND NEW LIVERY FOR 2016/17 SEASON', fiaformulae.com, (FIA Formula E, 23/08/2016), http://fiaformulae.com/en/news/2016/august/nextev-retain-nelson-piquet-jr-and-oliver-turvey/, (Accessed 23/08/2016)
- ↑ Sam Smith, 'NEXTEV TCR to split with Campos for season three', motorsport.com, (Motorsport Network, 24/04/2016), http://www.motorsport.com/formula-e/news/nextev-tcr-to-split-with-campos-for-season-three-689455/, (Accessed 08/07/2016)
- ↑ 'JAGUAR IMAGES TAKEN FROM INITIAL TEST RUN', fiaformulae.com, (FIA Formula E, 30/05/2016), http://fiaformulae.com/en/news/2016/may/first-pictures-of-jaguar-formula-e-car/, (Accessed 02/07/2016)
- ↑ 37.0 37.1 Sam Smith, 'Evans to partner Carroll at Jaguar', motorsport.com, (Motorsport Network, 02/09/2016), http://www.motorsport.com/formula-e/news/evans-to-partner-carroll-at-jaguar-814790/, (Accessed 07/09/2016)
- ↑ 38.0 38.1 'Renault e.Dams confirm Buemi and Prost for 2016/17', fiaformulae.com, (FIA Formula E, 20/05/2016), http://fiaformulae.com/en/news/2016/may/renault-edams-confirm-buemi-and-prost-for-201617/, (Accessed 20/05/2016)
- ↑ 'GP2 champ Gasly replaces Buemi for New York', fiaformulae.com, (FIA Formula E, 10/07/2017), http://www.fiaformulae.com/en/news/2017/july/gp2-champ-gasly-replaces-buemi-for-new-york/, (Accessed 10/07/2017)
- ↑ 'Esteban Gutierrez joins TECHEETAH Formula E Team', fiaformulae.com, (FIA Formula E, 20/03/2017), http://www.fiaformulae.com/en/news/2017/march/esteban-gutierrez-joins-techeetah-formula-e-team/, (Accessed 20/03/2017)
- ↑ 41.0 41.1 'Sarrazin to TECHEETAH, Dillmann joins Venturi', fiaformulae.com, (FIA Formula E, 03/06/2017), http://www.fiaformulae.com/en/news/2017/june/sarrazin-to-techeetah-dillmann-joins-venturi/, (Accessed 03/06/2017)
- ↑ Topher Smith, 'SARRAZIN STAYS AT VENTURI FOR SEASON THREE', e-racing.net, (e-Racing, 07/07/2016), http://www.e-racing.net/2016/07/07/sarrazin-stays-at-venturi-for-season-three/, (Accessed 08/07/2016)
- ↑ 'MARO ENGEL JOINS VENTURI FORMULA E TEAM: VENTURI LINE UP CONFIRMED FOR SEASON THREE', fiaformulae.com, (FIA Formula E, 08/08/2016), http://fiaformulae.com/en/news/2016/august/maro-engel-joins-venturi-formula-e-team/, (Accessed 09/08/2016)
- ↑ 'Tom Dillmann gets Paris Venturi call-up', fiaformulae.com, (FIA Formula E, 24/04/2017), http://www.fiaformulae.com/en/news/2017/april/tom-dillmann-gets-paris-venturi-call-up/, (Accessed 24/04/2017)